4 Mar 2020

WWW: 2020/1

Not just any old day of the week, its ... 

And this particular Wednesday I'm joining Bermudaonion's Weblog's meme Wondrous Words Wednesday where we share any words that are new to us.

Read in The Woman Who Went To Bed For A Year by Sue Townsend 

... Pollarded: to convert or make into a pollard (pollard: a tree whose top branches have been cut back to the trunk so that it may produce a dense growth of new shoots)

Read in The Secret Diaries Of Miss Anne Lister edited by Helena Whitbread 

... Disapprobation: strong feelings of not approving of something or someone/ strong disapproval, typically on moral grounds 

From Mr T's theology degree dissertation (I know who'd have though it, moi proof reading a degree level paper)

... Hermeneuticsthe branch of knowledge that deals with interpretation, especially of the Bible or literary texts 

... Deontologicalethics, especially that branch dealing with duty, moral obligation, and right action. 



Image result for name felicity

10 comments:

Mary (Bookfan) said...

Interesting words. In context I'd probably figure out disapprobation but at a loss for the others.

Brian Joseph said...

I love unusual words. These are good ones. I think that I had heard “ Disapprobation” before. I wonder if “ Hermeneutics” is related to the word “hermit” as in someone who isolates themselves from from the world to study books.

Shooting Stars Mag said...

some of these seem familiar, but I don't think I really knew any of them!

-Lauren
www.shootingstarsmag.net

sherry fundin said...

love this post. i think the words are all new to me
sherry @ fundinmental

Kelly said...

I always enjoy these posts when you and Yvonne join in! I was familiar with the first three words, though I don't think I could have put a definition to any of them. (given multiple choice, I think I could have)

The final word was totally new to me.

Good for you for reading his dissertation. I have copies of my daughter's Honors Thesis and her Masters Thesis sitting on the shelf, both unread! (though she shared a lot with me while writing them)

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

I love learning new words! :)

Suko said...

I was kind of familiar with Disapprobation but the rest were new to me. Thank you for the new vocabulary words!

nightwingsraven said...

Felicity,
I love language and words. And
I was not familiar with Pollarded.
But I enjoyed your post very much!
Raven

bermudaonion said...

I've looked up pollard before and could remember it because I have a friend with that last name. The theology words are new to me. Thanks for playing along!

Sherry Ellis said...

Good words! The book, The Woman Who Slept for a Year, sounds interesting. Right about now, I'd like to do that!