2 Mar 2020

WEEKEND ROCKSTARS 2: THE BALLAD OF FAT LABRADOR.

IBSN 978-1712567876
THE BALLAD OF FAT LABRADOR by DAVE HOLWILL.


It’s been a blissful ten years since George put down his bass, left the Artful Badgers and vowed never to play in public again. But when tragedy strikes his best friend he’ll do anything to help. Unfortunately that means going back out on the road, and this time he’s taking his daughter with him.

Alice has realised she wants more from her best friend than she is prepared to give and the band they have spent so long building up may not survive the fallout. Luckily her dad has the perfect plan to take her mind off of it.

It might feel more like a support group than a band, but if George can’t keep it under control then it could destroy his best friend’s life, his daughter’s happiness and what’s left of his own sanity.

Join George, Alice, Tim and a whole host of familiar faces as George is dragged back into a world to which he hoped he’d never have to return.
- Back Cover Blurb

Bigtown Fair is THE festival to be at this year.
- First Sentence, Chapter 1

'Oh, the name, yeah. We were the North Devon Spectrum Choir, you know, rainbows and stuff? But some guy at Exeter Pride misheard it as Spectral Koala and we liked it more. So it stuck, what do you think?'
- Memorable moment, Page 56

MY THOUGHTS ... A novel with no big dramas, the strength of The Ballad Of Fat Labrador lies in its characters ... and, my goodness, what characters they are! 

The second (and hopefully not last) book in the Weekend Rockstars series. Whilst I hadn't read the previous instalment, Weekend Rockstars, just like meeting any new group of people, their backgrounds naturally revealed as you get to know them, so I quickly (and effortlessly) got to know George and co.

A tale of what it is to be 'family', the the story of a jobbing band scratching a living as weekend rock stars; their bread and butter, pubs and working men's clubs. 

Written with wit, warmth and an earthy philosophy that gave a certain charm to the book that I found irresistible. Its not that I'm saying the book is any way autobiographical or that any of the characters are based on actual people - though I wouldn't be at all surprised if this was the case - there's just such a heartwarming sense of camaraderie that I couldn't help but feel that the characters were more than merely characters to the author.


SUMMED UP IN A SENTENCE ... A story with exceptional heart and characters that, come the last page, felt like family.

With thanks to the author, Dave Holwill, from whom it was a privilege to receive a copy of The Ballad Of Fat Labrador.

Image result for name felicity

8 comments:

Kelly said...

I love good characters, so your description of this really appeals to me. But, of course, I have to go look at book one, first. ;)

Brian Joseph said...

Bands getting back together type stories are usually appealing. Even the cliches can be fun.

Kimberly @ Caffeinated Reviewer said...

This sounds good, and it sounds like the heart of the story is its characters.

nightwingsraven said...

Felicity,
A book with so much heart
and truly memorable characters.
You have definitely convinced me.
I will add it to my list!
Raven

Shooting Stars Mag said...

That's great you were able to read the second book without reading the first - and yay for well-written characters. I'm definitely a character person.

-Lauren
www.shootingstarsmag.net

sherry fundin said...

intriguing title
sherry @ fundinmental

Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

Hi Felicity,

One of the next books on my TBR pile, is about an aging rock-band who get back together for a farewell reunion tour, only my ending isn't quite so happy ever after!

My group is apparently called 'Hot Rod and the Pistons', so there must be something which makes having an obscure name obligatory in the rock world!

Dave's website image, is exactly as I had pictured him in my mind and the fact that the action takes place down my part of the world in Devon, makes it so much easier to engage with.

Thanks for sharing :)

Yvonne
xx

Karen said...

This sounds wonderful Felicity! I love when a book makes me feel that way.

Karen @ For What It's Worth