2 Feb 2011

LOYALTY.


LOYALTY: One can surmise, began with fellow-feeling for one's family, gene-group and friends. Loyalty comes most naturally amongst small groups or tribes where the prospect of the whole casting out the individual seems like the ultimate, unthinkable rejection. The English word "loyalty" came into use in the early part of the 15th century in the sense of fidelity to one’s oath, or in service, love, etc. - wordiq.com

Last week Suko wrote a thought provoking post on LOYALTY in which she ended with the questions: What about you? What role does loyalty play in your blogging habits? Are you more apt to visit a blog due to a sense of loyalty, because of the topic of the post, or for another reason?

Hmm.

A friend of mine commented that, firstly and foremost, her loyalty lay with herself - "After all if I don't look after myself who will?" she asked - Totally selfish OR very honest?

I consider myself a fairly loyal individual and on thinking about it I guess I have a pretty strong sense of where loyalties should lie. I'll give an example ......

Discussing a friends marital break-up in which her husband had had an affair, X was putting all blame on the 'harlot who stole her husband'. "Why put all the blame on the woman?" I asked, "Surely your husband must share some responsibility." Her argument, as another woman her husband's mistress should have thought of her fellow females and known what pain this affair would cause. My argument, whereas it could be said that this woman owed my friend nothing, her husband at least owed her some loyalty and therefore she should be more annoyed with him.

As I said I have pretty strong feelings about loyalty.

But what about in relation to the blogosphere?

Going back to my first definition, yes, it could be said that I'm a member of a small tribe but do I owe any loyalty to my fellow 'pack members'?

Yes and no (Grief I had a feeling that this was going to become a long post). As in any other relationship loyalty is only one of the components and I feel it would be a great disservice to say that I only visited my blogger buddies out of a sense of loyalty - I must also enjoy their company and be interested in them and what they have to say.

That said, call it loyalty OR obligation OR, even, just common courtesy (I confess that I would feel it rude not to make at least one return visit if only to acknowledge that person and thank them for their interest), I do feel that I have a certain responsibility to the tribe and especially to those who become more intimate members, to those who I come to know quite well.

Not too sure if this fully answers Suko's question but it certainly made me think and re-evaluate one or two things. So ..........

What about you? What role does loyalty play in your blogging habits? Are you more apt to visit a blog due to a sense of loyalty, because of the topic of the post, or for another reason?

20 comments:

Dorte H said...

Good question!

When I stumble on new blogs that look interesting, I bookmark them and check them out a couple of times. If they still look good to me, I´ll add them to my blogroll. And once they are there, they often turn into blog friends - and this is when loyalty comes into it. Once I have come to regard bloggers as friends, I visit their blogs as often as possible, no matter what they post about. I skim a lot, but I am the type who comment very often (also when I can only offer a short, bland comment) because I like receiving comments myself.

So the interest comes first, the loyalty follows later. And of course there has to be some level of mutual interest. If the blogger does not seem to be interested in my ouvertures, I´ll probably sneak off again at some point ;D

Mary (Bookfan) said...

I follow many blogs via Google reader so I see new posts. I try to stop in and comment but sometimes there's no time and then I forget to stop back. So, how loyal is that? Not sure, but I do try :-)

serendipity_viv said...

I try so hard to keep in touch with the blogs I love. It becomes like a community. I have all my favourite blogs on Google Reader and try to keep. Although sometimes, like today, life just gets in the way and it becomes difficult to keep up.

Arti said...

A thought provoking post indeed... Well if I am not interested in a blog then I cannot be loyal to it, I would search for words to write a decent comment... So I follow only those blogs which interest me or reading them makes me happy!!
Regarding the comments thing I agree with the above two comments...
Have a nice day:-)

Misha said...

A great topic of discussion!
When I come across a new blog and the books reviewed seem to match my taste in books, I follow it and even comment. I might not comment on the blogs I follow every day. However, there are some blogs which I love not only because of their content but also because of the bloggers themselves - these are the blogs on whom I comment every day . I guess loyalty plays a big role in that.

Anonymous said...

I visit my blog friends first. Why not? Maybe that’s loyalty, or maybe it’s just being friendly. I try not to over-analyse. We mostly know almost instinctively what things are the right thing to do whether we analyse our motives or not.

All the best, Boonie

Su said...

You know, I've never really thought of it in terms of loyalty. If I only have a few minutes to read, then I have a handful of blogs (including this one) that I go to first, but that's more because I enjoy the content than anything else. Otherwise, I go through the blogroll & visit all the ones that have been updated. Can't say that I'm too loyal, though, because if someone posts consistently boring (or offensive) content that I'll eventually give up on them and take them off my blogroll.

So I guess my answer is: Loyalty no, interest yes.

Gina said...

Wonderful question and I certainly agree...thought provoking. I have to say there are a few that I try to visit as often as possible, but those are due to the friendship developed as well as the post topics because really the friendship formed over the books and thoughts shared so the connection was inevitable. Like you I also try to make return visits to those that stop by my site...courtesy is how those visits begin but sometimes I discover a great post or site I would not have seen otherwise and end up adding to that circle of friends. The point of my ramble? Loyalty to friends and family...courtesy with an option for loyalty to others. Great post Tracy!

Suko said...

Wonderful post, Petty! I appreciate the mention here. What got me thinking about loyalty in the first place was the idea of blogging cliques, mentioned on another blog. I realized that I tended to visit and comment on the same blogs, primarily, the blogs in my blogroll. Anyway, I started to explore the subject a bit. Thank you for continuing the discussion!

NRIGirl said...

I normally visit each blog I follow when a new post is published. I only "follow" the blogs that interest me. I guess that explains the 'loyalty to self' and others.

Patti said...

I try to spend two days a week visiting blogs. I probably start with my blogging friends and those who have commented on my blog, after that I go to the blogs that interest me.

Like this one - it's definitely a great topic for discussion.

Alexia561 said...

What an interesting discussion! I tend to read updates on Google reader and then try to comment on posts that catch my eye. If I'm pressed for time, I go to my favorite bloggers first. Is that loyalty? They became my favorites because we have common interests or they have consistently great content. I also try to leave a comment for anyone who comments on one of my posts, sort of a courtesy comment.

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

I suppose I feel more loyal to some more than others because we supported each other when we had virtually no numbers. Plus, they are interesting people. Not sure if that really answers the question. :)

Kelly said...

An interesting post on a topic I'd not given much thought to before. Loyalty to a blog does play a part, but if I didn't enjoy it I don't think that would keep me returning on a regular basis.

I like to visit the blogs I follow every day, but sometimes time just doesn't allow. I comment frequently on those I really enjoy, and just when it strikes me on the others.

I like to think I'm a pretty loyal friend, both in the real world and blogosphere.
:)

Oddyoddyo13 said...

When I follow someone, I look at their posts first to see if I enjoy them. Loyalty comes later. :)

Jenners said...

Well, I have to say first of all that I totally side with you on the issue of your friend's husband. It is the husband that owes the loyalty ... not the other woman.

I have struggled with this issue a bit in blogging. Sometimes people like your blog a bit more than you like their blog ... but I think loyalty should always be rewarded but it must be balanced with your personal time constraints and issues. That said, I hope no one reads my blog out of obligation ... life is too short. I think it is one of the first things you have to learn about blogging if you are going to stick with it is that you can only visit so many blogs regularly and decisions need to be made!

This was thought-provoking ... thanks!

Nina said...

Great post and really something to think about. I do believe I am loyal with blogging. Whenever I can and have the chance to comment on blogs I will. But I cannot do this with all the blogs I follow. I just scroll down and see what gets my interest. :)

Anonymous said...

I agree with Dorte H's comment.
Once I develop a rapport with a blogger, I stick around. One exception, I have left people who rant, because it pulls on my energy. If someone never replies to me, I leave too.
Sometimes I am absent for a long time because of travel or busyness and the number of blogs I try to follow is getting very big. Love this topic.

The Bookworm said...

I do remember Suko starting this topic and it's an interesting one.
I do have a set number of blogs I visit loyally, and its not out of any obligation, it's because I genuinely enjoy the posts.

dr.antony said...

I visit fellow bloggers out of courtesy.There are some blogs which I like personally because of their content and style.
There is no place for loyalty here.And even if we visit a blog,it doesn't mean you have to agree with everything written there.