16 Nov 2018

THE HEDGEHOG FEAST.

THE HEDGEHOG FEAST by EDITH HOLDEN (With words by ROWENA STOTT.)





The Hedgehog Feast is based on Edith Holden's exquisite water-colour illustrations which were painted after 1911 and like the Country Diary lay undiscovered for many years. Her great niece, Rowena Stott, has added words to Edith Holden's paintings and line drawings to make up a delightful story about a hedgehog family, and their preparations for a hibernation feast. In addition there is a useful short section on the natural history of the hedgehog.
- Inner front Cover Blurb

In the corner of a large orchard lived Hugh and Hilda Hedgehog with their three children Holly, Henry and Hazel.
- First Sentence; First page

Crispy salad, stuffed snails, gooseberry fool, damson cheese, bramble jelly, nuts, blackberries, and lots of cider to drink. But best of all was Hilda's lovely apple pie.
- Memorable Moment, Page unnumbered

SOURCE ... A charity shop buy.

READ FOR A CHALLENGE? ... No.

MY THOUGHTS ... Painted Circa 1911 by Edith Holden famous for her The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady, the words added at a later date by her niece, Rowena Stott, I'm so excited to add The Hedgehog Feast to my collection of books featuring hedgehogs.

This is a truly sweet story; a perfect autumnal read as we follow the preparations pre-hibernation of Hugh and Hazel Hedgehog and their three children who are joined by their various animal friends.

Delightfully quaint. The illustrations (one of which is featured above right), of which there are a full-page coloured one and a smaller pen and ink drawing for every page of text, are beautiful; the story, engaging and a great introduction to the caring of our animal friends.

7 comments:

Kelly said...

I can see why you love this one, Tracy. The artwork is wonderful! The story sounds delightful, too, so it must go on my wishlist for future reference. I already have someone in mind who might enjoy it. :)

Literary Feline said...

This does sound really sweet. And I love the artwork!

Brian Joseph said...

I love the artwork. I think that any story that would go along with it would probably be super.

nightwingsraven said...

Tracy,
Edith Holden's artwork is
truly beautiful and Hugh
and Hilda's story sounds
precious and sweet. I will
definitely add the book to
my list.
Raven

Mary (Bookfan) said...

This is lovely. I've been collecting "picture books" the past several years to have a library for my grandchildren. The illustrations are always my favorite aspect of the books.

WordsPoeticallyWorth said...

Greetings Tracy. Sounds like a good read with the illustrations. Glad you liked it. I like all creatures, and try not to harm any with my will. Blessings. Love love, Andrew.

Suko said...

This looks and sounds so lovely, Tracy. I'm not surprised that you enjoyed it.