8 Jun 2020

THE FLOWER GIRLS.

ISBN 978-1526602169
THE FLOWER GIRLS by ALICE CLARK-PLATTS.


It's been nineteen years since ten-year-old Laurel was given a life sentence and six-year-old Rosie was given a new identity.

The sisters were the very picture of innocence: two little girls who loved to listen to their mother's bedtime stories and play make-believe in the garden. But then an act of unparalleled horror tears their family apart, leaving Laurel behind bars and Rosie moved to a different part of the country.

Neither sister has laid eyes on the other since then, during which time their lives have followed very different paths. But now - with Laurel coming up for parole - they look set to be reunited in court, and the world will be watching...
- Back Cover Blurb

Rosie was aware of nothing apart from her sister's shadow.
- First Sentence, Part One; Chapter One

That the poor woman should never be able to escape her past is appalling; that she should be tried by the media for a crime she has had absolutely nothing to do with is equally so. That she is getting these emails from someone who wants to torment her, try and make her insane with worry; that these so-called journalists are leeching information from the hotel like blood-sucking vampires.
- Memorable Moment, Page 110 - 111

MY THOUGHTS ... Despite having seen this featured on many blogs and had several friends recommend it to me as a book I simply had to read I still had some reservations (maybe because I was instantly put in mind of the heartbreaking 1993 killing of toddler James Bulger and the subsequent events regarding his two assailants) but when I happened across a money off voucher curiosity got the better of me and I thought why not.

Alas a bit, disappointed? Underwhelmed? 

That the novel was somewhat a slow burner and by that I don't so much mean as it was slow in getting going, the author tantalising us, slowly building the suspense as that it took an age to get to know the characters - and even then I'm not totally convinced I ever really did; they certainly haven't left any lasting memory (and I only read the book mid March this year). That there were so many points of view, some of them arguably unnecessary, certainly didn't help; that some of them added nothing definitely didn't.

That despite making so many insightful observations, the author failed to tackle many of them. Yes, the subject matter was potentially disturbing but for a book about child killers/the murder of children she tended to shy away from anything too harrowing; that the continued references to real life cases such as the afore mentioned James Bulger murder gave the novel a hard hitting, chilling edge (in a way that I don't think the events portrayed in the novel did) says a lot.

That the book ended without the author having gone into the reason 'why' in more depth; surprisingly the antagonists motives were never really gone into.

That certain things were only established right at the end. Please tell me I'm not the only one to think that there are certain things that just have to be em-bedded in the mind of the reader fairly early on, that there are certain things that  need to be hinted at throughout the course of a novel no matter how subtlety.

On the plus side ... 

That given the multiple points of view, the book was balanced and objective.

That it was a thought provoking read; that we, the reader, are left pondering many issues of a moral nature, that we are left questioning what is it that drives a child to murder?/Is that said child born evil?,
that we are left wondering about the role of the media/social media in such cases. 

SUMMED UP IN A SENTENCE ... An Ok read but alas, largely underwhelmed, I struggled to find many redeeming features.


Image result for name felicity

9 comments:

Kelly said...

Well, gee.... the blurb makes it sound so good! Reading your review, though, has me questioning whether it's worth my time. Considering how many things I already have on my TBR pile, I think I will take a pass on this. Thanks for your honest review.

Mary (Bookfan) said...

I'll probably skip this one but I appreciate your balanced review.

Suko said...

Felicity, thank you for your honest review of this book. I hope the next book you read will be delightful!

Brian Joseph said...

The story sounds intriguing. Too bad that it came up a bit short for you.

Child murder is a rough subject so sometimes I find stories like this a bit too disturbing.

nightwingsraven said...

Felicity,
Although the book definitely sounds
thought provoking, I am uncertain
about it. But as always I appreciate
your honesty.
Raven

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Oh bummer, I was hoping this would be a good one. I has such a great premise! Terrifying, but fascinating. Thanks for your honest thoughts though.

-Lauren
www.shootingstarsmag.net

sherry fundin said...

sorry it didn't quite get there for you. it does sound interesting and one i would still give a shot if given the chance
sherry @ fundinmental

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

My first thought was that of the James Bulger case too.

DMS said...

Hmm- I have to say the summary does intrigue me. I cam curious to know what happened and why one sister was in jail. Sorry this one was just okay for you!
~Jess