20 Aug 2019

DON'T DRINK THE PINK.

DON'T DRINK THE PINK by B.C.R. FEGAN (With illustrations by LENNY WEN).

Follow the special relationship between Madeline and her Grandfather as they both grow and share in the most magical birthday experiences. Filled with secrets to uncover and  brimming with imagination, Don't Drink the Pink explores a number of basic concepts including colors, numbers and the reality of growing older.
- Back Cover Blurb

Grandfather Gilderberry never seems to rest.
- First Line; First Verse

On my seventh birthday,
Grandpa bounded in.
He wore a crooked smile
which broke into a grin.
- Memorable Moment; Page Un-numbered

SOURCE ... Received with thanks from Ariella of TaleBlade.

READ FOR A CHALLENGE? ... No.

MY THOUGHTS ... A bit like my grandfather ... and I'm sure like the grandfather(s) of many of the book's readers ... Madeline's grandpa is considered by some as, well, crazy and yet to Madeline herself there really is no-one quite like him.

Written in verse which in itself is a treat to both young and not so young ears alike. Add wonderful illustrations and you have the truly magical story at the heart of which there is the charming, fun and yet bittersweet tale of the power of love and all the magic ... and heartache ... that this can bring.

Following the super cute Madeline as she celebrates her first to fifteenth birthdays; birthdays in which not only does she get older but her beloved Grandpa does too. Alongside the less weighty concepts of colours and numbers the author also takes a creative and yet sensitive look at ageing and all that this implies ... and, yes, this includes death.

Not necessarily easy topics to broach. Yes, this character's ageing and ultimate passing is sad but then why shy away from it? 

Written by an author who time and time again has produced quality children's books, as well as a sweet read I have no doubts that this could provide an invaluable aid when it comes to raising the subject with young children.

Image result for name felicity

7 comments:

Brian Joseph said...

I think that aging and death is something is something that children’s books should cover. It sounds like this one does so in an eloquent way.

Gina said...

Great review! I was wondering how it would go for you. I agree...they broached the topic well, and I adore the illustrations!

Kelly said...

I'm always in favor of teaching children about death. After all, it's part of life. I knew neither of my grandfathers (one died long before my birth, the other just weeks after my birth), but did have to deal with my father's death when I was a child. It wasn't handled very well.

Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

Hi Felicity,

I agree with your previous commenters, that children should be introduced to death as part of life, from a very early age. Perhaps there are a few adults who could also benefit from the experience of reading this book, as I am constantly amazed at the number of adults who refuse to talk about either their own, or a loved one's impending death.

It sounds as though this author / illustrator combination works really well together, especially if the almost unanimous 5 star ratings for 'Don't Drink The Pink', are anything to go by!

I may have to check this book out for myself, just to find out what the 'pink stuff' actually is!! :)

Yvonne
xx

Suko said...

Felicity,

This sounds like a terrific, sensitive book for children. Wonderful and intelligent review!

So many books, so little time said...

Sounds like they did it well, agree with the previous comments xxx

Lainy http://www.alwaysreading.ney

nightwingsraven said...

Felicity,
I, also agree with what everyone
has said about teaching children
about death. And from your excellent
review I understood that the book
deals with death and growing old
in a poignant and eloquent way.
Raven