13 Aug 2019

(BENEDICTS 1): FINDING SKY.

Finding Sky (Benedicts, #1)FINDING SKY by JOSS STIRLING.


When English girl Sky catches a glimpse of bad boy Zed in her new American high school, she can't get him out of her head. He talks to her with his thoughts. He reads her mind. He is the boy she will love for ever. Shadows stalk her past but a new evil threatens her future. She must face the dark even if it means losing her heart. Will Sky have the strength to embrace her power and be brave enough to control her own destiny, or will the demons of her past prevent her from realizing her true potential? 
- Back Cover Blurb

The car drew away, leaving the little girl on the verge.
- First Sentence; Chapter 1

See 'My Thoughts' below for my Memorable Moment.

SOURCE ... A charity shop buy.

READ FOR A CHALLENGE? ... No.

MY THOUGHTS ... 'He'd climbed the apple tree and was sitting outside my room, straddling the branch. I threw open the window.' (Pg 80)

Surely it can't just be me that's thinking this is suspiciously like that scene in Stephenie Meyer's Twilight in which we find Edward sitting looking longingly at Bella through her bedroom window.

New girl in school (in this case its Brit Sky Bright) with zero personality falls for the school's 'bad boy' (Zed) who, the youngest of seven brothers 

- Trace, Uriel, Victor, Will, Xav and Yves. I know! T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z. (Its just as well there wasn't an 8th child or would the parents have just started back at A?) -

all of whom are mysterious (and, it goes without saying, gorgeous), is really just a pussy cat ... until someone messes with his girl.

A 'paranormal' romance (the first in the author's Benedicts series). Whilst there was some paranormal element to the story take away the powers of Sky and the Benedict's and you were left with what to all intents and purposes I thought of as a fairly standard thriller. As for the romance. Hmm! This was kind of cute (albeit totally lacking in any chemistry between the protagonists)but it did concern me that just as with Edward and Bella in Twilight there was also something that didn't always sit too well with me when it came to what could be taken as the sometimes controlling nature of the relationship. 

Twee, full of laughable dialogue and lacking in originality but in need of something twee and full of laughable dialogue that I could sink myself into and didn't have to think about Finding Sky fitted the bill perfectly and proved an ideal diversion.


Image result for name felicity



11 comments:

Suko said...

Felicity, I'm glad that you found this book to be an ideal diversion. I love the names in the story!

Kelly said...

The part from Twilight was exactly what I was thinking of as I read that line!

Despite its failings, I'm glad this was what you needed at the moment. That's all that matters.

Kelly said...

I meant to add that I really like the cover on this one.

Brian Joseph said...

Based on your review, it sounds like this is lacking in originality. Such a flaw in a boob tends to be fatal for me.

I agree with Kelly, this coved is kind of cool.

Felicity Grace Terry said...

The cover is indeed eye catching; so much more so than this image portrays in that it is picked out in silver foil.

Literary Feline said...

Sometimes this is just the type of book we need. It does sound a lot like Twilight in some regards, and I got that same uncomfortable feeling about the relationship just from the description you shared. Sounds like a fun escape though!

sherry fundin said...

i love your comparisons to twilight. i just binge watched the movies again yesterday and have been looking for something like it. i will be adding this to my tbr
sherry @ fundinmental

DMS said...

I thought of Twilight too. I haven't heard of this one- but I am glad it proved to be a good diversion. :)
~Jess

nightwingsraven said...

Felicity,
I am glad that this book was an
ideal diversion for you. And as
always I appreciated your honesty.
For my part, I am uncertain about
this book. But I agree with Kelly
and Brian about the cover's artwork.
Raven

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

I'm sure I've got this book somewhere (although I may well have given it away in a clear out), but I never got around to reading it.

Love Affair with Food said...

There have been lots of stories coming up after Twilight with this paranormal element. But though similar all the writers have their own take on the stories.