5 Jun 2019

PRIME FILM REVIEWS (1 - 3).



The adult Christopher of grey business suit and city business monotony is beginning to lose his connectivity with his wife and his own children amongst the pressures of his work. Chance leads him on a journey to resolve a particular thorny business difficulty and thereby a rediscovery of the significance of his childhood. I've never been a big Pooh fan... (not nuts about Ewan Mcgregor either, Trainspotting, Big Fish and Brassed Off excepted) ... too much Eeyore in my soul, but this was an enjoyable watch if a bit twee for me, I'm sure Pooh, Piglet and Tigger fans will enjoy it enormously. NJT

A fan of Pooh, Piglet, Tigger and, especially, Eeyore. Heartwarming with some real laugh out loud moments, the original concept respectfully handled, A.A. Milnes' characters brought faithfully to life. What more can I say other than I loved this film. TT


I'm almost embarrassed to say this but ...

The only person that I know who, having seen the film, didn't enjoy it. I mean it was OK but too much musical content (my goodness the LiveAid performance went on and on and on) and not enough about the man, his hopes and dreams for my liking which might actually prove just as well as, apparently an accurate portrayal of the real Freddie, more than anything else I came away disappointed that he may well have been every bit as arrogant as his onstage persona. TT

Yep,thoroughly engaging biopic that entertains and challenges. Focus is very much through the character of Mr. Mercury the flaws as well as the creative imaginative soul that made Queen. The music of itself is of course legendary and plays a considerable part in the film, not least the LiveAid performance at Wembley that signified a personal resurrection for him as well as for the band itself. NJT


How hadn't we come across this 2014 film before now? Not the laugh out loud/gross out/slapstick humour that I've probably come to associate with a Simon Pegg vehicle but, a feel good film, the sort of gentle humour that had me giving a knowing smile. I defy you to watch this film and not give the tiniest consideration as to what makes YOU happy. TT

One of Simon Pegg's lesser known films although it deserves a much broader audience than it received on release. The humour is less slapstick than his other films, more considered perhaps and thereby perhaps not so appealing to many. As a disillusioned psychiatrist he goes travelling to discover what happiness is; discovers a range of emotions as he moves from home to China, to Africa and onto the USA to discover what makes people happy before discovering for himself the nature of such a journey.  Nice cameo from Christopher Plummer towards the end, although we then realise that his is the voice of the narrator who begins the story ... NJT

Inspired by Kelly's One Sentence Movie Reviews. You can find her latest here


10 comments:

Kelly said...

It's been far too long since you've had one of these posts!

We've not seen this Christopher Robin film, and having watched Goodbye Christopher Robin not that long ago, I'm not sure I can persuade my other half to watch another along the same lines so soon.

I've sort of wanted to see Bohemian Rhapsody, but knew it was one that wouldn't interest my husband. Given your thoughts on it, maybe I won't make any effort to find it on cable at any point. (same for Rocket Man)

We saw the Simon Pegg film several years ago and I remember really enjoying it. Different for him.

Felicity Grace Terry said...

I agree it's been too long since I've done one of these posts Kelly but then with one thing and another it's been a long time since we've sat down and watched a film. I am however hopeful there will be a few more to follow soon, maybe one such post once a month???

Brian Joseph said...

As I hardly find time to watch movies these days I have not seen any of these films. I like Winnie the Pooh a lot. Christopher Robin sounds good and it sounds original. I might give it a watch.

I am a Rock fan and I am sure that I would like Bohemian Rhapsody.

Suko said...

I enjoyed seeing Bohemian Rhapsody. (Although I am a fan of Elton John, I'm not sure I will see Rocketman.) I am now interested in seeing the Christopher Robin movie, as well as the Hector movie. Nice, concise reviews!

sherry fundin said...

enjoyed the reviews and thanks for sharing your take on some new to me movies
sherry @ fundinmental

nightwingsraven said...

Tracy,
Thank you and Mr. T.(?) for
these side-by-side reviews.
I would like to see all three
of the films. But I will keep
your objections against Bohemian
Rhapsody in mind.
Raven

Lindsay said...

I loved Christopher Robin! Glad you liked it too. Eeyore is so cute.

Shooting Stars Mag said...

I'm a big Pooh fan, so I loved Christopher Robin. I really liked Bohemian Rhapsody, but I get wanting to see more about his "private" life if you will - not just the stage persona. I haven't seen Hector (yet) but hopefully I can soon as I LOVE Simon Pegg.

-Lauren
www.shootingstarsmag.net

Karen said...

I love WtP but the live action part turns me off. I cringed at the commercials but I know everyone loved it.

Same with Bohemian Rhapsody. I loved the music but biopic movies are always far from reality so I'm not sure I want to see it.

I love your movie round ups though!

Karen @ For What It's Worth

Literary Feline said...

I am not sure why, but I haven't much interest in seeing Christopher Robin. I grew up with Winnie the Pooh and friends, so you think I would! I am glad you liked it. Bohemian Rhapsody is another one I haven't much interest in. But then, I am not a huge fan of the biopics about a performer's life. I haven't heard of Hector and the Search for Happiness. I will have to look that one up.