7 Jun 2019

MEET GRACE MCCLUSKEY, AN AUTHOR AT 8 YEARS OLD.

I wanted to tell you, because of how proud I am, and maybe as an inspiration to anyone who is struggling to finish their book, or who wants to bring out the natural talents of a child, sibling, friend, parent, anyone...

Three years ago, my daughter (she is now 11, she was then 8) wrote a 500 word story for the Radio 2 competition. She got a reply back thanking her for her entry but it hadn't been picked or shortlisted or anything. she was devastated as little kids get...

I tried to explain to her that I had NEVER EVER won anything in my entire life, but its through hard work and perseverance that we 'win' things (for win I meant earn).


So, as I write comics and graphic novels as well as novels, I sent a shout out to some of my contacts, and we took her short story, got it illustrated, and I am now happy to say that it is finished.


She had lost a little faith in the project, as she sometimes thinks that the story is babyish, and she is a little embarrassed about it, but I keep telling her that this is ALL her own work, and in the future she will be as proud as Punch of it...


So, anyway, after a few years of tears and editing, laughs and lost faith, but ultimately hard work on her end (and Sean Steele, the illustrator), we can finally say that the book is finished.



Image may contain: text
I present to you... The Hangry Hamster, by Grace McCluskey.

It will not be available until the end of July, which is a shame as she leave primary school in July for high school, but her teachers are still very interested in it.

I need to thank Tony Higginson of Purple Penguin Books for his help in design and layout...

Thanks for reading this 'gush' from a proud dad!
- Shared with the permission of Grace's rightfully proud father, David.

The story of Billy,  a happy boy who had everything in the world he could wish for except for one thing ... a cute and fluffy hamster.

I've had a sneaky look at The Hangry Hamster -a Damaged Productions Publication (ISBN-13: 978-0993449093) written by Grace McCluskey with illustrations by Sean Steele available July 1st 2019 - which is a delightfully funny story with some truly wonderful full colour illustrations.

Edited ... I've had several people ask me about Grace thinking she was my daughter so feel I need to clarify that not only is Grace not my daughter I'm not related to her in any way. As a member of Book connectors on FaceBook I saw the above article as shared by her father Dave and thinking Grace an amazingly talented young lady sought his permission to share her book here on Pen and Paper. TT


17 comments:

Brian Joseph said...

This is such a neat story. Congratulations to Grace! Hard work and perseverance really does pay off.

I love the illustration.

Andrea Frazer said...

Wow what a cool illustration. I can’t wait to read it myself! Tell Grace that she’s never too young to write a book. My son is 16 and he’s collecting his horrible horrible horrible jokes for a book he plans on calling Dominicks to si tell Grace that she’s never too young to write a book. My son is 16 and he’s collecting his horrible horrible horrible jokes for a book he plans on publishing. I say good on them !!!

bermudaonion said...

Congratulations to your daughter! That cover is fabulous!

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Good on your son Andrea, I do love a good joke; the cheesier the better.

Grace isn't my daughter bermudaonion. I came across her father on one of the groups I follow on FaceBook and inspired by her story asked his permission to share Grace's book here on Pen and Paper.

Kelly said...

How fun! I love the title and the cover. :D

Sophia Rose said...

Ahhh, good for Grace! Neat story of her father teaching her to hang with it and then helping her as she worked through getting it edited and published.

Karen said...

How exciting for Grace!!!

Karen @ For What It's Worth

Dave McCluskey said...

Guys... this is Dave, Grace's dad. She is staying out tonight, but I will show her all these comments in the morning.

Thank you so much for your kind words!!!

Were just in negotiations with the printer to get some copies out there.

Thanks again!!!

Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

Hi Tracy,

The Radio 2 500 word story attracts so many entries each year, that there is no disgrace in not progressing past the first stages of selection. At least Grace had the inspiration for a storyline, the incentive to sit and complete her 500 words and the courage to send off her finished entry - definitely more than I would ever have dared to do at her age!!

It is posts like these which also makes blogging so worthwhile and such fun. It is always so good to be able to help out a new author, no matter what their age and I certainly hope that Grace has plenty more new ideas for Billy.

There are likewise, some amazingly talented illustrators out there, without whom, the words on the page simply wouldn't come alive!

With the Hangry Hamster and a Cat Burglar decorating your front page this time, your blog looks fun and colourful :)

Yvonne
xx

Literary Feline said...

What a great lesson, and congratulations to Grace! Perseverance does pay off.

nightwingsraven said...

Tracy,
Congratulations to Grace!
And thank you for sharing her
father's article with us.
Raven

Kimberly @ Caffeinated Reviewer said...

What a wonderful story. Congrats to Grace!

DMS said...

Writing is hard work for sure! It takes a long time! This sounds like a wonderful experience for Grace and what a great dad to help her in the process. :)
~Jess

Nas said...

This is such an uplifting story! What a talented girl.

So many books, so little time said...

Aw bless her, what a wee chop xxx

Lainy http://www.alwaysreading.net

Sherry Ellis said...

Perseverance definitely pays off. So happy for Grace. I hope she enjoys seeing her book in print!

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

This is so cool! She should be proud and it looks like a cute book. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!