23 May 2018

WONDROUS WORDS WEDNESDAY: THREE BOOKS, FIVE WORDS.


Created by BermudaOnion's Weblog, I first came across this Meme on Yvonne's and Suko's sites.

Not a regular nor official participant but, having come across some interesting words recently, I thought I'd join in today with the following Wondrous Words ...

From ...

Witchhunters, Professional Prickers, Unwitchers & Witch Finders Of The Renaissance by P.G. Maxwell-Stuart ...


'For you whimmled my Lord's boat' 
Whimmled ... to upturn, invert, turn upside down, stand on its head or rim.

  'She was not 'respectable' either in her birth or in her family  and could therefore serve as a named target for social opprobrium. 
Opprobrium ... something that brings disgrace; public disgrace or ill fame that follows from conduct considered grossly wrong or vicious.

From ...

Beyond The Arch by David Evered ...


 'Our words and thoughts matured us but now our spirits and pusillanimity betray us'
Pusillanimity ... the state or condition of being pusillanimous; timidity; cowardliness.

 'He found he could no longer simply dismiss them as pompous, whimsical or jeune'
Jejune ... (1) without interest or significance; dull; insipid, juvenile; immature; childish, (2) lacking knowledge or experience; uninformed, (3) deficient or lacking in nutritive value.


From ...

Children's Children by Maisie Mosco ...

 'The new name didn't help me to recognise you. Nor did the avoirdupois' Jim added with another grin and a glance at David's waistline.
Avoirdupois ... (1) a system of weights based on a pound of 16 ounces or 7,000 grains, (2) weight; heaviness.


11 comments:

Kelly said...

Good selections, Tracy. While a couple of these are familiar to me by sight (opprobrium and pusillanimity), I don't think I could have put a definition to any of them.

Sherry Ellis said...

I had never heard of any of those words. Now the trick will be to remember their meanings!

Brian Joseph said...

Great post. I love unusual and odd words. I had never heard Avoirdupois or whimled before. I will try to use them both in conversation.

Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

I must admit that, despite loving this meme, I don't really take part in it as often as I would like, these days there just isn't enough time to even schedule posts ahead!

I love the word whimmled and it is quite an easy one to drop into conversation.

Avoirdupois is another good one to flummox people in conversation, but it seems like a convoluted way to describe weight!

Great words, thanks for sharing :)

Yvonne xx

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Oh wow, some interesting words here! I don't believe I've heard of any of them, so thanks for sharing!! :)

-Lauren
www.shootingstarsmag.net

Suko said...

I should have remembered avoirdupois from French class. Excellent words this week! Thanks so much for the mention, Tracy. :)

Kimberly @ Caffeinated Reviewer said...

Nice picks. I love unusual words.

nightwingsraven said...

Tracy,
I loved your selections as I
love language and words, although
I was familiar with opprobrium
and pusillanimity, I had not heard
of the other words.
Raven

Revd. Neal Terry said...

You can't beat sesquipedalian!

Karen said...

This is a fun idea for a post Tracy!

I like saying whimmled lol

Karen @ For What It's Worth

The Bookworm said...

Interesting set of words, I've never heard these before.