25 May 2018

THE DAY I FELL DOWN THE TOILET & OTHER POEMS.


THE DAY I FELL DOWN THE TOILET & OTHER POEMS by STEVE TURNER (Illustrated by DAVID MOSTYN).


Have you ever been punched by a cabbage, or fallen head first down the loo?

Have you ever had fun with a poem?

You haven't? Then this books for you.

In this collection of over seventy brand-new poems Steve Turner takes a roller-coaster ride from the crazy corners of dreams to the big questions of life, using all the wit and insight that has characterized his best-selling books of adult poetry.
- Back Cover Blurb

The first word I said was 'gaagaa',
- First Line Of First Poem, I First Word

'I don't like you as it happens,'
Said a voice from out of the mash.
'I was a fine young potato
Until you had me boiled and smashed.
- Memorable Moment, Second Verse; The Vegetables Strike Back *

SOURCE ... One of Mr T's, off our shelves.

READ FOR A CHALLENGE? ... Yes.

  • What's In A Name?: 'The Word ‘The’ Used Twice' category
MY THOUGHTS ... I've said it before and I'll doubtlessly say it again, rather than read poems I'd much rather have them read to me. That said ...

Some humorous, some not so much so; some, but by no means all, based on the author's Christian faith, I really enjoyed this collection. 

A first from an author perhaps best known for his poetry for adults, which, with topics as diverse as the naming of the animals and what becomes of a 'perfect' little boy once he gets on his game machine, is marketed as being particularly suitable for those aged seven to nine ... or indeed, those who like me, are still just big kids at heart.

* For full poem click here.

8 comments:

Kelly said...

This sounds like it's quite fun and reminds me that I got a book of humorous poetry for Christmas that I've yet to read.

Unlike you, I'd rather read poetry to myself - sometime out loud.

Brian Joseph said...

I think that having poems read to me is a great way to enjoy poetry. It has its advantages over other methods.

These poems sound fun.

Felicity Grace Terry said...

There is that Kelly. If not read TO me, the next best thing is reading it out loud. :-)

Melliane said...

poetry is always a bit complicated for me

Suko said...

This sounds like a fun and funny collection! I'm glad you enjoyed this book of poems, Tracy. :)

nightwingsraven said...

Tracy,
These poems sound funny and
creative. And I will add the
book to my list.
Raven

Revd. Neal Terry said...

I like
short poems.
You can see
at a glance
if you like
them
or not.

So many books, so little time said...

Poetry isn't really my thing these days I did enjoy it when I was younger, these sound fun/quirky though xxx

Lainy http://www.alwaysreading.net