30 Mar 2015

TOM'S MIDNIGHT GARDEN.


Take Control 2015THE eighth and final book read for my 2015 Take Control Of Your TBR PILE challenge.

Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa PearceTOM'S MIDNIGHT GARDEN by PHILIPPA PEARCE

SOURCE: A charity shop buy.

BACK COVER BLURB: When Tom is sent to stay at his aunt and uncle's house for the summer, he resigns himself to endless weeks of boredom. As he lies awake in his bed he listens to the grandfather clock chiming in the hall downstairs.

Eleven ... Twelve ... Thirteen ...

Thirteen! Tom races down the stairs and finds, outside the back door, a wonderful garden. A garden everyone told him didn't exist. Tom's midnight garden is full of magic and adventure, and children too. Are they ghosts? Or is it Tom who is really the ghost ...

FIRST SENTENCE {Chapter 1: Exile}: If, standing alone on the back doorstep, Tom allowed himself to weep tears, they were tears of anger.

MEMORABLE MOMENT {Page 106}: 'And you go about so in the daytime, always in your night clothes!' Hatty said scornfully. 'And it's the latest fashion nowadays, is it, to wear only one slipper? Really, you are silly to give such excuses! You wear strange clothes that no one wears nowadays, because you're a ghost. Why, I'm the only person in the garden who sees you! I can see a ghost.'

MY THOUGHTS: Primarily a story of friendship but, on thinking about it afterwards, full of issues that I had not at first picked up on.

What turned out to be if not exactly a time travel novel than certainly a time slip novel. I always struggle with the concept but given it's a story aimed at children I hadn't anticipated quite how much I'd find myself questioning things. 

First published in 1958. Compared to some of my childhood favourites written at around about the same time (or even earlier) I'm afraid I found this to be one of those books that hadn't stood the test of time very well. 

Surprised by just how out-dated the writing and dialogue was. A reflective rather than action packed read with many concepts I'm sure some modern children might struggle with. Slow going though everything becomes clear .... eventually. I can't help but wonder just how less accomplished young readers will fare with this one.



 

11 comments:

chitra said...

Hi, Tracy, I am back and started blogging and visiting my virtual friends. I am so happy and I am enjoying this. I was busy with family weddings and my work too.
Chitra

Kelly said...

I'll admit, this sounds like it would be good. I'm sorry it didn't hold the same pleasure for you as it did when you were a child. Do you think this is because you questioned different aspects of it from an adult viewpoint? (not just the writing) It always makes me wonder what I'd think if I went back and re-read any of my childhood favorites.

Lindsay said...

I didn't realise how long ago this one was written. Well done on your challenge, I think I've managed 7, with a couple I'm still reading and probably won't finish in March.

Barbara said...

Hi Tracy, I must have been about ten when I first read this. I loved it then and really enjoyed it when I read it again recently. It was full of nostalgia for me, which might explain why I enjoyed it more than you did. It was nice to read your take on it, excellent review as always, Barbara.

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

Too bad it didn't stand the test of time. Still interesting to read books to see if that is the case.

brandileigh2003 said...

Sad to hear it didn't stand up to time as well as others

Suko said...

Thank you for sharing your honest thoughts. You are doing a great job with the TBR challenge!

Stephanie@Fairday's Blog said...

Great job with your challenge! I don't recall hearing of this one, but enjoyed your review. Sorry it didn't stand the test of time better!

The Bookworm said...

That's too bad it didn't stand the test of time.

Melliane said...

I'm curious now about what younger would think if the story too. I didn't know abotu this one but maybe.

Literary Feline said...

It's been interesting to read some of the books from my childhood and see how they stand the test of time now that my daughter is old enough to experience them. It sounds like this one didn't hold up so well.