7 Nov 2014

LET'S CELEBRATE: FESTIVAL POEMS.



LET'S CELEBRATE: FESTIVAL POEMS compiled by JOHN FOSTER.

SOURCE: Ex-library stock.

BACK COVER BLURB: Let's Celebrate is a collection of original poems about celebrations and traditions round the year and round the world, from Africa to Scandinavia, Bali to Birmingham.

Find out what's special about buns in Hong Kong, fishing in Nigeria, or trees in Australia, while notes to the poems explain about the various festivals. The poets include John Agard, Judith Nicholls, Wes Magee, and Jack Prelutsky; and in the illustrations, in colour and black and white, different artists give their own views of the celebrations.

FIRST POEM: Festival by John Kitching.

MEMORABLE MOMENT/FAVOURITE POEM: Scarecrow Christmas by Pie Corbett. 

Because of copyright laws I am unable to replicate either of the above poems on Pen and Paper, I have however linked to Scarecrow Christmas @ teachPRIMARY: Pie Corbett's Christmas poems

MY THOUGHTS: Whilst not exactly what you could call a fan of poetry, I always feel it should be read to me rather than read by my, I was never the less instantly attracted to this wonderful collection of poems compiled by John Foster.

A delightfully diverse anthology of verse celebrating festivals, some of them religious, others secular, the world over, I really liked the fact that as well as celebrations I was familiar with it also contained some such as Idh Mubarak (meaning Happy Idh) and Nyepi (The Day Of Yellow Rice) that were totally unfamiliar.

Particularly suitable for primary school readers and upwards. Packed full of glorious illustrations and handy footnotes should the festival need further explanation, I thought this a wonderful home and school friendly book, ideal given the multi-cultural/faith societies many of us now live in.



11 comments:

Kelly said...

This is one I'd definitely want to have in the "tree" variety rather than on my Kindle. It sounds delightful.

Suko said...

Tracy, this sounds like a wonderful collection about celebrations. I enjoyed your review. :)

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

Poetry can be a hit or miss with me. Glad you enjoyed this one. Will have to check out that poem.

Shooting Stars Mag said...

This sounds like a nice way of learning about other countries/cultures. Thanks for sharing.

Kelly said...

Good grief...I've posted five blog entries since the one that's showing up in your sidebar! I don't understand why my blog won't update for you. *sigh*

Melliane said...

I'm not a fan of peotry either but I should try to see how I feel about that.

Brian Joseph said...

I really want to read more poetry.

The theme of this collection is a really good idea.

I like the fact that it is illustrated.

So many books, so little time said...

Used to love poetry when I was younger, not a fan at all now as an adult.

Illustrated is good though :)

Lainy http://www.alwaysreading.net

Stephanie@Fairday's Blog said...

This sounds like a fun addition to any elementary school classroom or library. I like to read poems- but I love to have them read to me. :)

Literary Feline said...

I am not a big poetry reader, although I do like it now and then. I even write it occasionally. :-)

Lindsay said...

This sounds like a lovely collection Tracy, glad to read that you enjoyed it. I only occasionally read poetry but I still really love some of the poems I read when I was younger.