7 Aug 2014

MEMOIRS OF A NEUROTIC ZOMBIE.

MEMOIRS OF A NEUROTIC ZOMBIE by JEFF NORTON.

SOURCE: A GoodReads win. Title to be released on August 7th 2014.

THE BOOK {According to the back cover}: I'm Adam Meltzer. I'm just an average kid. Except for one small detail .....

I'm a zombie. That's right, the big 'Z'. You're probably thinking I'm a brainless, cannibalistic monster. Not true!

That's why I've written my memoirs, to prove that I'm the walking, talking fun-dead.

I'll even try to solve the mystery of my own murder - for your entertainment.

FIRST SENTENCE {Foreward}: It has been an honour to be asked by Adam Meltzer to write his memoirs.

MEMORABLE MOMENT {Page 53}: 'Like a Bar Mitzvah?' I asked. I was less than a year away from mine, though I wasn't sure where the Torah stood on a young zombie becoming a man.
'I guess,' she said. 'But with bloodsucking instead of a band.'

MY THOUGHTS: Though far from the middle grade reader (generally considered as those aged between 9 and 11) for which this book is marketed I have to admit that I did find myself laughing out loud several times.

After all with a newly 'born' tweenage zombie (zom-boy) who has a thing about hygiene, a vegan half-vampire (both proof that the whole undead thing hasn't been, well, done to death?) and, my favourite, a chupacabra who wishes he was a werewolf what is there not to laugh at?

Definitely one I'd recommend for boys. With its toilet humour (on occasion quite literal toilet humour) and at times extremely funny but kind of gross humour its sure to appeal in a way that it perhaps didn't always for me.

What I did really enjoy about the book though was Adam's trying to fit back into school after his three months absence and the exploration of our three superheroes coming to the terms with their difference in a world where 'difference scares people. It's threatening. It's un-American.'

 

13 comments:

Kelly said...

Okay, I'm not a pre-teen boy, but you make this sound like something I would really enjoy!

A fun review, Tracy.

Yanting Gueh said...

I'm not a pre-teen boy either but this sounds fun and I'd love to read it some time!

Literary Feline said...

I am not sure this is for me (and my daughter's too young yet), but it does sound funny--I'm glad you had some laugh out loud moment.s :-)

I haven't quite gotten into the zombies-have-feelings craze yet.

Suko said...

It does sound like fun, even though I don't often read (or think) about Zombies! Terrific review!

Stephanie@Fairday's Blog said...

I have never seen this one- but it is good to know it was funny and entertaining. I haven't read any zombie books, but I bet some of my students will want to read this one and I might give it a try too!

Stephanie Faris said...

A middle grade zombie book seems like it would be tough--zombie stories are usually so violent. Sounds like this one is a good one, though!

Melliane said...

It sounds like a nice middle grade school. Plus I always love zombies stories!

Barbara said...

Hi Tracy, not one for me but I’m pretty sure my grandsons would have enjoyed it when they were younger. My two granddaughters are too young, so will pass on this one. Excellent review as always, thanks for sharing it.

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

This sounds perfect for some little cousins of mine. I'll have to check to make sure the zombies aren't too scary for one (he is younger than 9) but would be fine for the older brother. Thanks for the rec!

Shooting Stars Mag said...

this sounds fun; glad you were able to laugh out loud with it too!

Bo said...

Well, I can't completely discount a book that has a Chupacabra as a character.

Aunt Mary said...

It sounds good , what a lovely review :)

The Bookworm said...

awww...this sounds like a fun one!