22 May 2014

ADORKABLE, FATBERG, FELFIE - WHICH GETS YOUR VOTE?

In need of new entries for its latest edition The Collins Dictionary has decided to enlist YOUR help by giving you to the opportunity to vote for what word should be included.

Open until midnight (GMT) the 28th of May the contenders are .......

# Adorkable: {adj} The state of being adorable and dorky at the same time

# Fatberg: {noun} A large blockage in the sewage system

# Gaybourhood: {noun} Neighbourhoods popular with the gay community

# Felfie: {noun} A Selfie taken by a farmer

# Duckface: {noun} An involuntary reaction experienced by a certain demographic when confronted with a camera

# Vaguebooking: {verb} Non-specific, passive-aggressive social media shade-throwing designed to provoke a reaction

# Fracktivist: {noun} An activist who protests fracking

# Euromaidan {noun} Pro-Europe protests in Ukraine, named after the square in Kiev

# Nomakeupselfie: {noun} A Selfie taken while wearing no make-up, to raise awareness of cancer charities.

Hmm, after much consideration I think my vote goes to ......

Adorkable.

What about you, what word gets your vote? Do let us know. Oh, and if you wish to make your vote count click HERE.


Copyright: Tracy Terry @ Pen and Paper. All original content on http://pettywitter.blogspot.co.uk/ is created by the website owner, including but not limited to text, design, code, images, photographs and videos are considered to be the Intellectual Property of the website owner, whether copyrighted or not, and are protected by DMCA Protection Services using the Digital Millennium Copyright Act Title 17 Chapter 512 (c)(3). Reproduction or re-publication of this content is prohibited without permission. 

14 comments:

Brian Joseph said...

What a difficult choice!

The vote thing here is really neat.

If I had to pick, I guess that I agree with Adorkable. I kind of like Fatberg because it almost sounds like a real technical word.

Stephanie Faris said...

I vote for vaguebooking...because cryptic posts annoy me! I would vote for adorkable, but there were people who used that word a lot back in my MySpace days and, after a while, it started to annoy me.

Yanting Gueh said...

I like Adorkable but I'll probably give my vote to a farmer taking a selfie. That just sounds way too funny.

Kelly said...

I don't think some of these are destined to stand the test of time. ;)

Even though I really like "adorkable", I think I'll choose "fracktivist".

Literary Feline said...

I'd have to go with adorkable too. LOL

Suko said...

Some of these are so funny! Adorkable gets my vote as well.

Shooting Stars Mag said...

I pick adorkable because it's one that I've said for a long time. haha

Barbara said...

Hi Tracy, I laughed out loud at Felfie so that’s what gets my vote, but Fracktivist runs a close second! Lovely idea for a blog post.
Have a good weekend.

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

Adorkable! Yes! I do like that one too. :)

So many books, so little time said...

Aw I thought felfie was going to be a cat taking a selfie so for me I choose vaguebooking - that really irks me and happens all the time.

Lainy http://www.alwaysreading.net

Stephanie@Fairday's Blog said...

I like that voting is allowed. I would have to go with adorkable based on the words and their definitions. :)

Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

Hi Tracy,

All the words sound a little silly to me and I wouldn't use any of them, but I am certain that is probably just an age thing!

As we live right on the edge of an area recently designated the site of millions of barrels of oil and it looks as though fracking is coming to a town nearby very soon, then I might well see myself becoming a 'fracktivist'.

Watch out, you may see me on the news, chained to a tree somewhere in protest one day!!! LOL

Have a great weekend,

Yvonne.

info@marinelareka.com said...

Adorkable gets my vote as well. :)

Alexia561 said...

As much as I love Adorkable, think I'm going to have to go with Duckface!