25 Apr 2013

WORLD BOOK NIGHT - HAVING HAD A WHALE OF A TIME.

Yeah, I survived World Book Night ..... in fact I more than survived it, I had a whale of a time.

My thanks to you all for your encouragement, advice and support, to Leanne and Husband dearest for organising it - I really don't think I could have seen it through without you.


Not the first time I've made a presentation in public. The first time was a total disaster, nerves got the better of me, my accent became thick, my speech increasingly fast, my palms sweaty (sorry, a lady doesn't sweat, does she? A lady perspires) - as I said a total disaster. The second? Hmm, perhaps a teeny weeny, itsy bitsy little bit better but not much.

Anyway, totally ignoring a FaceBook friend's well meant advice that I picture the students sitting there naked as a means of calming my nerves - I'm pretty certain that Husband dearest's employers would have taken a dim view of this and would probably have called Social Services - I simply ignored my written notes, imagined that I was at my Readers Group (now that was good advice) and got on with it.

The third of four to speak I was amazed that at the end of my spiel they were actually still awake interested enough to ask several questions. 

So, all in all a wonderful night. I learnt a lot about the process of illustrating books, about self-publishing your novel and that graphic books aren't just for children nor boys but are a great way for anyone daunted by the mere thought of a large novel to explore literature. Fascinating stuff, I'm hoping that all three of the other speakers will do a guest post soon and that those who took away books will write me a review..... the best of which will receive yet more books - cue my cunning plan (laughs evilly) to get everyone reading more.

And so ends my night at the college BUT not the end of WBN.

Travelling from the college to our local library for a literary quiz which got increasingly difficult, cake and yet more books (my final haul included Black Spring by Alison Croggin, Stuart: A Life in Rewind by Alexander Masters and Little Face by Sophie Hannah), what a wonderful way to end this fantastic event.

My thanks once again to you all and, of course, the librarians at the Oxford Centre. Please let me know if you also took part in this event, I'd love to hear about it and will happily link up on this post


What other bloggers were up to .....







Disclaimer #1: Removal of any part of this post without my express consent is considered copyright infringement. This post was created by and for Petty Witter @ Pen and Paper. If you are reading this post on any other site please contact the original blog owner/reviewer.

17 comments:

Unknown said...

that's strain experience.
but it will be very impressive.
congratulations

http://flowersofdreams.blogspot.com/

Crazy Life of a Writing Mom said...

I knew you'd do awesome! :)

Kelly said...

Great hearing the details. I would have wanted to go first (to get it over with), so I commend you for doing so well after having to wait your turn.

R. Ramesh said...

U r good tracy...no wonder r u shining..best wishes always:)

Alyce said...

I'm so glad it went well for you! I loathe public speaking, so I felt for you when I saw your post on facebook. It sounds like you had a fabulous time.

Suko said...

I also struggle with public speaking, and feel as if my body betrays me. I'm sure that you did well, though, and the fact that you enjoyed the evening says a lot.

Literary Feline said...

How fun! I am glad it went so well for you, Tracy. :-)

I hate public speaking. The only thing that got me through my public speaking class was knowing that the other students were half asleep and weren't really paying attention. I tend to jumble my words when I'm nervous. When I'm really comfortable with a group (like the team I supervise at work), I have no problems leading meetings and training. So, I guess it just depends.

brandileigh2003 said...

Glad you had a whale of a time

Kimberly @ Midnight Book Girl said...

I'm so glad it went well for you! I know speaking in public can be pretty scary!

carol said...

Sounds like it was a great evening.

Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

Hi Tacy,

'Go Girl', I knew you would pull it off in spectacular fashion and enjoy yourself into the bargain!

So says someone who would have been scared stiff and probably fluffed it big time!

I am so glad that you had a good time and that the evening was a big success. Even if you managed to get one new person reading who otherwise wouldn't have, then that is a huge achievement.

Yvonne

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

oh you had to give a presentation? I wouldn't have worried, you rock the blog so you'd do well there! Plus, giving out free stuff will always make you popular with the kidlets. LOL

Glad you enjoyed yourself!

Heather said...

Way to go Tracy. KNew you would do well.

Blond Duck said...

I'm so glad you had a good time!

Betty Manousos said...

i'm so glad it went well for you! and you've had a good time.

xx

Suko said...

I (almost) forgot to mention that the picture is hilarious.

NRIGirl said...

That's great news Tracy! Speaking to college students is no easy matter. To hear you did so well that probed the kids for answers is extraordinary! Proud of you my friend!