4 Oct 2012

DO YOU KNOW .........


..... Which literary character has been portrayed more than any other?


Here are some clues?
  • The characters first appeared in the 1887 novel, A Study In Scarlet.
  • It is believed they were first depicted on screen in a 30 second silent movie in the 1890's.
  • They have been portrayed a record-breaking 54 times on film and tv.
  • More than 75 actors have played the main role.
  • The original stories numbered 4 novels and 56 short stories.
  • The 'latest novel', commissioned by the author's estate, was published some 81 years after the original authors death. (Click HERE to see my review).
Need another clue? 


Yes, it really is elementary my dear Watson, the answer is, of course ........


Sherlock Holmes as written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Those who have played the part include (from top, l to r) Michael Caine, Christopher Lee, Ian Richardson, Jeremy Brett, Roger Moore, Benedict Cumberbatch, Peter Cushing, Rupert Everett, Robert Downey Jr and (far left) Basil Rathbone.

Basil Rathbone, Jeremy Brett, Benedict Cumberbatch, Robert Downey Jr, Tom Baker... the full list of actors who have taken on the role of Sherlock Holmes is so long that the super sleuth himself might struggle to remember all the names.
To celebrate the DVD release of Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows, Guinness World Records, which awarded Holmes the record, called him a ‘literary institution’.
Claire Burgess, a Guinness adjudicator, said: ‘This title reflects his enduring appeal and demonstrates that his detective talents are as compelling today as they were 125 years ago.’ 
- The MailOnline (May 2012)
To read the full article and to see the complete list of actors who have played Holmes click HERE.




A fan of Holmes and Watson, which is your favourite book/favourite actor to play the part? And, if not Holmes and Watson, who is/are your favourite detective(s)?



15 comments:

Tomz said...

who else other than the ace detective Sherlock Holmes can claim this honour? Only him who people believed to have lived on the earth just like one among us..A master character from the pen of a a master writer

Kelly said...

I think the only Holmes tale I've read is Hound of the Baskervilles (or is that Hounds?) and I've seen very few of the movie/TV versions.

I probably have too many favorite sleuths to list, but a few are Adam Dalgleish, Marcus Didius Falco, Gordianus the Finder, Brother Cadfael, China Bayles, Richard Jury, and (of course!) Matthew Shardlake.

chitra said...

I have read only Hound of Baskervilles. have that in our library.Recently when we shifted we found that we had 120 kilograms of books in our library. I have to find time to read all that.

Ryan said...

While I'm not entirely surprised I probably would have guessed Count Dracula.

Suko said...

Wonderful post, Petty! As usual, your humor and ability to organize information shine through.

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

The new on on tv is okay. Quite a different take on it. I don't know if you get it in England.

Betty Manousos said...

how interesting!yet another brilliant, beautifully written post, tracy.
i'm a big fan of agatha cristie in general and i really like the amazing sherlock holmes stories.

big hugs!

xx

carol said...

I have to admit I love Sherlock, in most if not all of his incarnations.

NRIGirl said...

I am suprised I guessed it right! My favorite is Mark Twain though!

Blond Duck said...

I saw the Sherlock Holmes with Robert Downy Jr and wasn't that into it...

Golden Eagle said...

I've recently watched a few of the older movies with Basil Rathbone and Christopher Lee, but I have to say the new BBC version with Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman as Watson is my favorite. There's certainly a long list of adaptations!

Jenners said...

Amazing how that silhouette is instantly recognizable!

Nina said...

Colombo! :) He's great!

Shooting Stars Mag said...

I'm quite addicted to Sherlock Holmes at the moment. I'd read a story in the past and seen the new movies with Robert Downey Jr. but i'm in a detective fiction class and now I want to read even MORE Sherlock stories/books and I'm in love with the show Sherlock with Benedict Cumberbatch. He does such a fab job. I actually really like the new U.S. show called Elementary too.

The Bookworm said...

elementary my dear Watson! I still haven't watched the Downey Jr. films and they look so good.