7 May 2012

WHAT DO YOU GET IF YOU TAKE A TOAD, A SQUID, A PENGUIN, A SNAKE, A PARROT AND A SWAN?

......... ANSWER: Today's all animal Media Monday post.


Anyone know the number of calories in a toad? No, me neither.

Shoppers at Tesco stores in the UK can now rest assured they know just how many calories they are likely to take on board when eating a toad.
Well not quite. The supermarket offers detailed nutritional information on packs of its TOAD IN THE HOLE product despite the packaging claiming to offer details on a toad. More


And from toads to squids. As the only squid caught, though tiny, this 1cm-long specimen was declared the winner.

Expert anglers came from all over the world to test their skills in the All England Squid Championship.
They stood for five hours on the chilly, windswept coast beside Brighton Marina and waited... and waited. 
After a hard day’s fishing, 73 competitors had failed to land a solitary squid. They packed up their gear with diddly-squat in their keepnets –apart from one man. 
Aquatic ecologist Davide Thambithurai was about to cast his lure back into the murky Solent when he noticed a 1cm-long baby squid. More

And from toads to squids to ...... penguins.

Two drunken Welshmen have been fined for drunkenly stealing a penguin, called Dirk, from Sea World in Australia, despite their lawyer claiming 'they tried their incompetent best' to care for the bird. More





And from toads to squids to penguins to ........ snakes and another case of (mis)snake(n) identity.

A killer snake turned out to be a squeaky toy. The 60cm (2ft) snake caused accountant Jad Raja to panic and call the RSPCA (Royal Society for the Protection of Cruelty to Animals). 

But when officers popped round to his house to capture it, they realised it was a rubber toy. 

The 53-year-old accountant, who is scared of worms, said: ‘I was scared stiff. I thought, “I hope it’s not poisonous”.’ More




And from toads to squids to penguins to snakes to ...... parrots.



Sammy's favourite tune isn't the Birdy song, her prefers The Beatles and Chuck Berry which he belts out in a cockney accent.
Tree surgeon Michael Hickling’s, from Carlton, Nottingham, best mate likes to sing while they work – he’s a parrot.
Michael , 46, and Sammy, a yellow headed Amazon parrot, met eight years ago and they are inseparable.
At lunchtime, they stroll down the road for a fry-up in the cafe and at night enjoy a pint or two down the pub. More

And finally, from toads to squids to penguins to snakes to parrots to ....... swans.

A violent swan named Mr Asbo * has been removed from the River Cam following a spate of attacks on rowers, canoeists and other river users.
His reign of terror in Cambridge finally came to an end this week after River Cam officials applied for an emergency license to allow them to legally remove him in a bid to protect river users.
He was taken to a secret location over 60 miles away following a secret operation involving a team of brave volunteers.
The feathered bully had regularly chased members of the public up and down the river, attacked rowers and capsized canoes. More


*ASBO = Anti-Social Behaviour Order.


NB As always I will endeavour to bring you the links to articles I have used in my Media Monday posts but this is not always possible. 



17 comments:

anilkurup59 said...

Absorbing. However the calorie packed in a toad is amazing.

Gina said...

LOL. Your title had me perplexed! ^_^ On the toad...eww. The squid...sorta cute, for a squishy critter. Poor pengiun! LOL on the squeaky toy snake...we've had that issue in store with these wooden toy snakes we carry. Funny bird....both of them though the swan was a tinge scary! *-* Great post Tracey...thanks for the smiles.

Colors and Grays said...

Is a toad edible? :]

R. Ramesh said...

good ones boss..ya thanks for the smiles

Suko said...

Fun Monday post, Petty! I've heard of eating frogs' legs but not toad (no thank you, to either). Is there really such a thing as swan bullies?!

Nina said...

Who wants to eat a toad? ... :(

Alexia561 said...

Thanks for the smiles! Love the tiny squid winning! Bet his friends won't let him live that one down anytime soon! *L*

The Bookworm said...

Oh my gosh, that parrot is a riot! And lol about that swan from hell. I'd be scared out of my mind if I was that boater. Yikes!

Kelly said...

Well, my husband always tells me froglegs are delicious. Don't know if that would apply to a toad. ;)

I'm surprised the angler even saw that tiny litty squid!!

I'm not surprised about the swan. I know geese can be vicious and I figure they're quite similar.

Blogger seems to be up to its old tricks, Tracy. I see it's still showing my Ponderings post in your side bar and I've posted twice more since then.

Jenners said...

Dare I say it … that little squid is almost cute!

And I've never heard of an attack swan before.

Full-On-Forward said...

BWAHHHAAAHAAA--what an awesome post! The Penguin stealer drunk dudes!!!!

This is awesome Tracy! Have a great week my friend!!

John Boy

PS: SWANS are Vicious Nasty ucky Birds!

NRIGirl said...

Loved the parrot story. The riddle was a cute idea. When I read the title I was like, "what is it?!"

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

I saw the squid and the penguin stories. I think I liked the swan one the best. Go Swany go! :)

Blond Duck said...

That little squid is so cute!

Betty Manousos said...

these are all great!
thank you for the smiles.
that one about the swan didn't surprise me though...i've heard that these birds become very territorial and can be aggressive to any intruders.

xx

Heather said...

Great assortment of animal stories. i do think I'll stay away from the toad. Thanks for the chuckles.

DMS said...

All of these were quite fascinating! I can't believe the penguin article- wow! Also- I loved how all the stories related to animals in some way. :) Swans have scared me for a while- as someone got attacked by one in my state a while back. They are pretty- but stay away!
~Jess