21 Jun 2011

ASH.



ASH by Malinda LO.


With her parents both gone, Ash finds herself a servant in the house of her ruthless stepmother and there seems no hope of finding happiness again.


But Ash is unaware of her mother's legacy, and that it will lead her to a magical place. A place where love, identity and belonging are all waiting.
.... Outer back cover.


FIRST SENTENCE (Chapter 1: Aisling's mother died at midsummer.


MEMORABLE MOMENT (Page 271): Ash knew that this was what the fairies were always hunting for: a circle of joy, hot and brilliant, the scent of love in the deepest winter. But all they could do was create a pale, crystalline imitation, perfect and cold. How it must disappoint them: that they would never be human.


KEEP IT OR NOT?: Not.


First of all, the cover, isn't it beautiful? I know I'm probably prejudiced but I really do think the British cover is one of the prettiest covers I've ever seen. Which do you prefer - the US version, above left or the English version on the right?



Actually the photograph does not show the cover in all it's glory. The silver background between the trees actually has a lovely mother-of-pearl shell-like shine that, in a certain light, shimmers beautifully.


If only the story itself was so wonderful.


A sort-of re-telling of Cinderella, Ash has all the elements of a traditional fairy tale -  from the wicked stepmother to the masquerade ball from which Ash (full name Aisling)must be home by midnight to the handsome Prince in search of a bride - except, being aimed at the young gay/lesbian market, for one slight difference ..... the love interest of Ash is another female character, Kaisa, a rather beautiful huntress - Huntress incidentally being the title of the  second book in the series.


Very subtle, sweet and quite innocent, I thought this romantic element to the story made it a little different from your usual conventional fairy tale. That said, I was, on the whole, very disappointed with Ash. Reading (almost) like a traditional tale it was extended to animated film length (if that makes sense) which, to me, just didn't work, making the novel seem overlong,plodding and lacking in substance.


Ex-library stock, Ash was the 49th book read in my 100+ Reading Challenge.







14 comments:

serendipity_viv said...

I wasn't expecting the romantic twist in the book and it took me completely by surprise.

Misha said...

The British cover is beautiful especially the colours. I am surprised that it disappointed you since I have heard nothing but positive things about the book. But it's good to know a different point of view. Thanks for the review!

Kavita Saharia said...

Second cover looks much prettier .And that sure is an interesting romantic angle,specially for a fairy book.Thanks for the review.

Mary (Bookfan) said...

Yes, the British cover is much better. Sorry the book didn't measure up for you.

Betty Manousos said...

the British cover is much better, sorry to hear that the book disappointed you.

great review, as usual.

have a great day!

big hugs!
betty xx

Anonymous said...

Hm. I also like the British cover, but if you want to rewrite a brilliant fairy tale, you really have to make it extraordinary.

Anonymous said...

Like you, I too like the British cover... Umm..only wish the story was as interesting as the cover...

Another this is I dont like the lesbian stuff...though I can read along the gay side .....

Patti said...

The British Cover is definitely nicer, it took me a couple of looks to realize the US cover was of a person not some crumpled up fabric.

Suko said...

I, too, prefer the British cover. Your post illustrates that you can't judge a book by its cover.

Kelly said...

I think it's unanimous. I also like the British cover best.

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

I actually like both covers. I also enjoyed Huntress more. You don't need to read this one to read Huntress.

I think if she would have strayed more from Cinderella it might have read better. Good review.

The Bookworm said...

The British cover is beautiful. What a shame the book dissapointed.

Jenners said...

I do think the British cover is much more appealing; too bad the story wasn't as magical. And this is the SECOND book review today that I read that was about a retelling of Cinderella. Weird.

raji said...

ASH "the name seems so different.The paintings on the cover of the book were elegant .Nice review petty ,hm...decieving looks I must say.:))