21 Oct 2009

WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE, TOO SCARY?

Where The Wild Things Are, By Maurice Sedank, - "The story of Max's adventure when he sails away to the land Where The Wild Things Are" - a book I came to later in life when Hubby bought me a copy after we had put on an impromptu play of the story at a youth event we were at, is now a firm favourite of mine and well viewed for the fantastic illustrations, let alone the wonderful story.

A film version is to be released here in the UK on the 11th of December but already there have been complaints by American movie-goers (where the film was released on the 16th of October) that it's too scary.

Want to see Maurice Sedank's reply to this criticism? Click HERE. *

Have you Read the book/seen the film/intend to see it, if so what do you think? Too scary or merely 'a storm in a teacup'?

* Thanks to Hubby who found this article on The Guardian web-page.

8 comments:

brizmus said...

Wow,. . .Maurice Sedank was so. . .HARSH.
I can't wait to see this movie, a I love the book, which I don't find to be too scary at all.
I can't talk yet for the movie, though.

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Yes, he certainly let his feelings be known in no uncertain terms.

joemmama said...

So glad I don't have small kids to scare. I might go just to see what all the hubbub is about. I loved reading this to my kids a million years ago, so it can't be too bad.

Kelly said...

Well, it was never a favorite book of mine and from what I've seen of the movie I doubt I'll see it. I only remember one of my three kids really liked the book.

My sister took her grandsons to see it and it ended up being a disaster. The older was boo-hooing by the end. He's eleven, but you have to keep in mind he's also bi-polar and autistic.

susan s. said...

It's no worse than fairy tales of old. When I was young, we loved to be scared by myths, etc. Real life was harsh, but fairy tales were an escape and usually ended up with rescue or triumph... as in Hansel and Gretel, Three Billy Goats Gruff, etc.
And how about some Lewis Carroll? Even Mother Goose isn't all that nice.

Jenners said...

I definitely want to see it ... and I think all parents need to see movies before letting their kids see them -- you just need to know what your kid can and cannot handle. And from what I've heard, the movie is AMAZING and Mr. Sendak is really pleased with it.

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

I loved this children's book and have zero desire to see the movie.
Thank you for your visit to my blog, The Crap Detective is beyond lame isn't it? I left him a comment on his blog thanking him for his visit, remarking what a cute blog he has, and such an adorable profile picture Just to annoy him!!!

KidOfGod said...

I Maurice Sendank's 'Little Bear', so I agree with him because the cute little bear was Genius.