7 Aug 2009

The Heretic Queen.

The Heretic Queen By Michelle Moran.

When Nefertari's entire family is killed in a fire, she's left to grow up alone, a spare princess in the palace of the new Pharaoh. Her young life is overshadowed by the past - the name of her infamous, aunt, Nefertiti, the Heretic Queen, still strikes terror into the souls of Egyptians. So, when she finds herself falling in love with the young Pharaoh, Ramesses, she knows it's not going to be easy to win his heart.

But when the Pharaoh's aunt takes Nefertari under her wing and begins to educate her in the way's to gain a man's attention - and hold it - marriage to him seems within her reach. Yet, even as Ramesses declares his love for her, she knows there's more work to be done. If she's to be Queen, all of Egypt must recognise her worth and overcome her connection to the dark, heretical days of the past.

Ramesses will face challenges from all sides: war, drought, conquest and the determination of a man named Ahmoses will all threaten his reign. Could Egypt's rulers, and more importantly her people, ever allow him to marry the woman he loves, let alone make her his Queen?

.... from the inner, front cover.

Having read many novels set in Egypt, many of them involving Ramesses, I'm afraid this book was one of the poorest. There seemed to be so many different strands to the story that were started and, yet, never finished.

'Ramesses will face challenges from all sides, war, drought, conquest' and so on, claimed the synopsis of the book. Sounds exciting? But, I'm afraid it wasn't as so many of the story lines were simply skimmed over and not gone into in any great depth. I don't think it helped that the characters were also poorly written and, on the whole, quite one dimensional.

However at times, the reader was given, an albeit fleeting, glimpse of what life was like in Egypt at that time and just how hierarchical society was which may have just saved it from being an altogether uninteresting, uninspiring read.

MY RATING: 1.5 out of a possible 5.

5 comments:

Gayla said...

((Hello))
Sorry the book was such a disappointment. Don't you just hate that?
Thanks so much for stopping by journal--I really appreciate it :)
Right now I'm reading a couple of books.
"The Help" by Kathryn Stockett
One of the best books I've read in my life. This is her first novel and will be a classic for sure. Pick it up if you can--I think you would really enjoy it!
"Always Looking Up: The Adventures of an Incurable Optimist" by Michael J. Fox
Also a great read! I'm having a tough time putting them both down. I read his first book "Lucky Man" and it was awesome. This is better! I highly recommend it too.
"Say Everything: How Blogging Began, What It's Becoming, and Why It Matters" by Scott Rosenberg
If you are new to blogging or have been doing it for awhile (I've been blogging for 6 years) this is a fantastic book with loads of information. Plus, it's an interesting, fun and great read! I liked it so much I bought my own copy..hee hee. Actually all of the books I just listed I bought. I'm one that usually uses the library or gets the occasional "editor's copy" to read.

I think we will be great friends! I just love your doggie and your cats....they're all so darn cute!

Take care :)
Hugs, Gayla

Sherrie said...

Hi Tracy,
Thanks for the heads up on the this book. Sorry it was such a disappointment to you. I really hate when that happens. Have a great day!

Sherrie

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Hi Gayla, Obviously an experienced blogger - I've only been doing it for 4 or so months (18th of August was my 1st post), up until then I wouldn't go anywhere near the computer and now Hubby can't get me off it.

Anyway, thanks for those recommendations. High praise indeed for 'The Help'. I think the last book I raved about in such a way must have been 'The Book Thief' by Markus Zusak.

So glad you liked our pets - cats, Dotty, Zar, Phog and Puck and our dog, Peg. Sadly none of them are still with us.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I haven't read the book myself but other bloggers have raved about it. It's not my sort of read, so I never thought about picking it up. Hope you find ones you like better.

Felicity Grace Terry said...

I suppose it just goes to show that it's all down to individual taste. I might have thought more highly of this book if I hadn't read so many Egypt based novels and I'm afraid this just could not compete wiyh the likes of Christian Jaques.