5 Nov 2021

THE SHATTERED VIOLIN.

THE SHATTERED VIOLIN by JARED BODNAR.

Conner and his fiancée Cassie had a fairytale future ahead of them. In one day, that future is destroyed. Cassie is brutally murdered, leaving Conner broken and filled with pain. Without knowing how, Conner vows to seek revenge against the killer and sets off on a morally ambiguous and meandering quest. As Conner gets closer to the moment of reckoning, he will face impossible choices and the realization that his elaborate plan may ultimately be derailed. ... Back Cover Blurb

Cassie shoved the attacker away. ... First Sentence, Chapter 1

He took the elevator upstairs and unlocked the door. As he pushed the door in, he said a little prayer asking God to return his sweet Cassie. He wanted her to miraculously appear on the couch when he opened the door, maybe in the bathroom taking a shower. He prayed this had been the most vivid and terrifying dream ever. Maybe he would wake up in the hospital out of a coma and discover that this had just been a psychotic delusion. ... Memorable Moment, Page 74/75

MY THOUGHTS ... After what I felt was a slow start with too much detail {for a read of less than 200 pages I felt a lot of the earlier chapters especially were given over to the minute description of things that really didn't need that amount of describing} I began to find myself questioning if this was something of a necessity; wondering if it was only by coming to know Connor in particular in such depth that I could come to understand his rage and truly empathise with him. 

The story of what happens when the love of his life is brutally murdered. You may well be wondering where exactly the shattered violin of the title come in. 

Welll! Let's just say that rather cleverly there are two threads to the story{one, the brutal murder of the love of Connor's life, Cassie, and the resulting quest for revenge, the other, what becomes of the violin, the possession of a woman Connor bumps into just as he attempts this revenge} that tantalisingly entwine. 

A good choice for those into stories of revenge, I defy you to read The Shattered Violin and not think about  the lengths you yourself might go to if you were to find yourself in Connor's position. 

ABOUT JARED BODNAR ... Jared Bodnar is an advertising professional by day, dedicated dad by night and novelist after Midnight. He graduated from Arizona State University with a Journalism and Psychology double major. Jared lives in Gilbert, Arizona with his wife Shannon, daughter Harlow, and sons Easton and Kai.

8 comments:

Kelly said...

Hmm... I'm not sure if this one is for me or not. I'm not much on revenge, though I do like to see justice prevail.

Sherry Ellis said...

I like the title. As a violinist myself, it piques my interest.

Mary (Bookfan) said...

I'm not normally a fan of the revenge theme but have to say your review has intrigued me!

nightwingsraven said...

Felicity,
I am uncertain if I would like
this book because of the revenge
theme. But I will keep it in mind.
Raven

DMS said...

I work at a music and dance studio- so this title definitely grabbed my attention! Sounds intriguing. Thanks for sharing.
~Jess

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Very cool there are two threads in the story that come together. I do love books like these!!

Lauren @ www.shootingstarsmag.net

Sophia Rose said...

The Count of Monte Cristo is about the extent to my liking revenge plots, but I do feel curious after reading your description so maybe I'd try it.

Carol said...

I don't think I've read many revenge plot books. I'm not sure I could wade through all the details in the beginning though.