29 May 2016

SWEET DREAMS: OF RELATIVES AND DONKEYS.




I've always had very vivid dreams and, having often wondered just what they meant, I went in search of a dream interpretation site only to come across this one.

Dreaming I was at the beach (Blackpool's Golden Mile to be precise) my father-in-law and I were having a race, me in Madge (my powered wheelchair for those of you who aren't aware of this), the pa-in-law on a donkey. Both of them wearing a 'kiss-me-quick' hat, the pa-in-law had to stop every few feet to feed the donkey a carrot.

So, what can we conclude from this?

Wellll, according to the site ....


To see the beach in your dream symbolizes 'the meeting between your two states of mind. The sand is symbolic of the rational and mental processes while the water signifies the irrational, unsteady, and emotional aspects of yourself. It is a place of transition between the physical/material and the spiritual.'


Hmm, interesting. Very interesting. I can't say the ration and irrational sides of my being have been totally in sync as of late.

Re the wheelchair. There is no interpretation given that I actually use one. If however I did not use a wheelchair in everyday life this could suggest that 'You need to stop depending on others, a situation or relationship has made you feel helpless OR that you are literally letting others push you around and need to start standing up for yourself.'


Now this makes more sense (some of it total sense) if you take my actual need for a wheelchair out of the equation. Dependent to one degree or another on Mr T to begin with, my recent illness has left me even more so. As for standing up for myself? Hating conflict as I do, yes, I do at times need to stand up for myself more.

Like the use of the wheelchair there is no direct interpretation for dreaming about your father-in-law (only a mother/brother/son-in-law). However put substitute this with the word relative and, hey presto, 'to see your relatives in your dream signify family issues and feelings. Relatives are symbolic of some aspect of your own self.'


Once again interesting.

Meanwhile, to dream of a race  'represents your competitive spirit and how you tend to measure yourself against others. Alternatively, this dream may mean that you need to slow down and take a different course in life.'


A competitive spirit? Moi? Seriously, unless playing Monopoly or Dixit (a word game not unlike Scrabble) with Mr T, I would normally have laughed at this BUT lately ....  Hmm, far more likely a sign that I need to take a different course in my life. To say I need to slow down is laughable, any slower and I swear I'd come to a stop.

So, what about the donkey?


'To see a donkey in your dream represents your stubbornness and unyielding personality. You are unwilling to cooperate with others. The donkey also symbolizes menial work. You may be feeling overburdened or stressed.' (Interestingly enough for my US friends, 'alternatively, the donkey is representative of the United States democratic party. Consider your personal associations and feelings about the democrats.')

Stubborn? Emm, given the right circumstances, I suppose I can be. Unyielding/unwilling to cooperate with others? I wouldn't have said so. Overburdened and stressed I can however agree with.

As I thought, nothing pertaining directly to a kiss-me-quick hat BUT to see or wear a hat in your dream indicates that you are hiding an aspect of yourself or that you are covering up something. Alternatively, it represents your attitude or the various roles and responsibilities you have in your waking life.

Definitely not covering up anything or am I?


As for a carrot?


'To see a carrot in your dream signifies abundance and fertility.' Whilst 'to eat a carrot in your dream indicates clarity.
Ha! Abundance and fertility. I'm glad the donkey is however experiencing clarity in its life.

Such a fun post to do. I may even make it a regular/semi regular feature. In the meantime, have any dreams you care to share with us?



9 comments:

Brian Joseph said...

Though I am bit skeptical about dream interpretation it can be a fun pursuit.

I understand that we do not remember the vast majority of our dreams. Sometimes I wonder about what I am forgetting.

Kelly said...

Well this was certainly an entertaining post!

In agreement with Brian above, I'm a bit skeptical about dream interpretations. While it can be fun and I thoroughly enjoyed your offerings here... there are too many variables, for example your actual use of Madge and it not being something symbolic. Back in the day when we had several donkeys in our pasture, I'm sure I dreamed of them and doubt it meant anything in particular, other than I'd interacted with them that day.

I, too, am a vivid dreamer and often review them when first waking in an effort to remember and share. I know several folks who are lucid dreamers and I've been able to return to one after getting up during the night.

Overall, it's a fascinating topic with many interesting facets.

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

...and always remember that sometimes a cigar is just a cigar... LOL

Dream interpretation is always interesting to me. If too much doesn't fit, I say try another interpretation. Some seem to be better than others. Enjoyed this! :D

Suko said...

Interesting post, Tracy (truly). I think there is value in dream interpretation, but not in a "one size fits all" sort of way. Coincidentally, I remembered small parts of my seemingly nonsensical dreams this morning (right before I woke up), then promptly forgot them as the day progressed.

Sherry Ellis said...

Dreams are interesting. Can't say I've ever had any of the items from your dream in mine.

anilkurup59 said...

Hmm that is a pretty interesting post. Reading an analysis of dreams is fascinating indeed.
However I haven't thought that donkeys are stubborn and unyielding. Have been stereotyping them for dumb.

Keep it up, the analysis.
H, ha what would-be the interpretation of a dream about one's mother-in-law?

Barbara said...

Hi Tracy, I can’t remember the last dream I had, although I know it was important because I woke Terry up to tell him about it. He was not best pleased! I enjoyed your post and really must try interpreting the next dream I have.
Btw I’m working on the tag post, and it should be on my blog in a week or two.

Literary Feline said...

I tend to have vivid dreams too and am always trying to figure out what they might mean. Some are more obvious than others.

Gina said...

That is a rather interesting dream but it sounds like some of the things uncovered fit the bill. As for my own, lately sleep has been so hard to catch, the dreaming stage hasn't even been reached. *sigh*