22 Sept 2020

(MILIJUN 2): AMIDST ALIEN STARS

979-8635761366

Travel beyond First Contact:

Mysterious and chilling events on an alien world threaten the interstellar survival of the human race ...

They have awoken surrounded by alien stars. Following their abduction from earth, Laura Sinclair and son, Jason, lead a group of desperate humans in a bid to forge their own future and that of their home planet. To succeed, they must solve the puzzle of extraterrestrial races in the throes of a perplexing and historic conflict. 

But they are in a strange, new universe, on a bizarre and dangerous planet. Who can they really trust as they struggle to understand the challenging and hostile environment that holds them in a grip of iron?And what do the aliens really plan for them and their hybrid children?

Amidst Alien Stars is the second book in the Milijun series: Enter a world like no other as the truth will out in a realm as far away from home as it ever gets. ... Back Cover Blurb

Laura Sinclair sat on a bench in the space station's garden. ... First Sentence, Prologue

Relna's shoulders heaved. Her eyes filled with water, holding the fluid, not letting it go. So this was war, what she was bred for. She held the body for a while, then laid it gently to earth. ... Memorable Moment, Page 280

MY THOUGHTS ... Wow! Just Wow! 

Having read Milijun I had such high hopes for this, the second book in the series (a series that by the way really is best read from the beginning in order to get the best out of it). High hopes that thankfully weren't to be dashed; not only is Amidst Alien Stars every bit as good as its predecessor, its better.

I'm not generally hugely into this genre and given that I had thoroughly enjoyed both books in the series (this, the second one, in particular) I naturally found myself puzzling over just what it was that I found so compelling.

Having seen aliens come to Earth not just to study/abduct us earthlings but rather to gather a breeding stock with the aim to creating alien-human hybrids in book one, here in book two, the action having moved from Earth to a galaxy far, far away far off planet, the reason for the need of these hybrid children unfolds in a story that leaves you wondering just who, if anyone, is to be trusted ...

Trust me though when I say that the author tells a cracking story ...

There are what I thought of as mini stories within 'the story' ... and it all made perfect sense ... something in itself to be applauded.

The world building, wonderfully imaginative, wholly realised and so vivid, is (excuse the pun) out of this world. 

And as for the characters ...

Multi faceted; the aliens maybe not as alien as you might expect. That their history too is evidenced something I took much delight in.

That at some point or other I found myself sitting on the edge of my seat, holding my breath and, yes, even crying, I think it fair to say that it was the emotional depth (something that in my experience is rarely to be had in Science-fiction) that truly set this book apart for me; making it such a pleasure and delight to read. 

SUMMED UP IN A SENTENCE ... With enough Sci-Fi that it will impress fans of the genre but with more than sufficient a 'human interest' aspect to it that it will appeal to those who aren't.

My sincere thanks to the author for not only entrusting me to honestly share my thoughts on his 'first baby' but also, this, his second.



5 comments:

Brian Joseph said...

This sounds great. As you describe it, the plot and world building sound like older style science fiction. I would always read a series like this in order.

The book cover is very cool.

Kelly said...

It's been more than three years (and many books) since I read the first book, so I don't remember a lot of detail. Did you have any problem remembering things when you began this one? You have me intrigued enough that I will at least put it on my wish list. I'm glad it lived up to (and exceeded) your expectations!

nightwingsraven said...

Felicity,
I am glad that you enjoyed this
second book so very much.
From what you said in your review
it does sound compelling and I will
keep the first book in mind.
Raven

Sherry Ellis said...

Judging from your reaction to this book, I'd say it's an excellent read. Thanks for sharing about it.

Suko said...

Felicity,
I have been away from blogging for a bit, but am back again. I'm glad you enjoyed reading this book so much. Your review is wonderful.