13 Mar 2020

(GIORDANO BRUNO 2): PROPHECY.

ISBN 978-0007317738
PROPHECY by S.J. PARRIS.


Autumn, 1583. The skies above England harbour dark omens.

An astrological phenomenon heralds the dawn of a new age and Queen Elizabeth’s throne is in peril. As Mary Stuart’s supporters scheme to usurp the rightful monarch, a young maid of honour is murdered, occult symbols carved into her flesh.

The Queen’s spymaster, Francis Walsingham, calls on maverick agent Giordano Bruno to infiltrate the plotters and secure the evidence that will condemn them to death.

Bruno is cunning, but so are his enemies. His identity could be exposed at any moment. The proof he seeks is within his grasp. But the young woman’s murder could point to an even more sinister truth…
- Back Cover Blurb

Without warning, all the candles in the room's corners flicker and feint, as if a sudden gust has entered, but the air remains still.
- First Sentence, Prologue

All that eager life, pinched out as easily as a candle. I set my face firm and reach out a second time, willing myself not to recoil; from her cold flesh my fingers out a sturdy gold chain fastened at her throat. Its pendent has slipped round behind her head and become tangled in her hair; impatiently I fumble to free it, a few strands of red-gold hair coming away in my hand with the chain. Attached to is is a lozenge-shaped locket, also carved it gold.
- Memorable Moment, Page 174

MY THOUGHTS ... Whoa! Whoa! What? The second book in the series? 

Whilst I can't speak for any other edition, in this particular 2011 HarperCollins Paperback, other than a small image of what is obviously another of the author's books and a 'By the same author' list that is all of one other book long, no where is there a mention that this is the second book in a series (I only found this out when I came to add the Amazon link to this, the second instalment).  

Not that I'm personally adverse to reading books out of sync you understand (and it wasn't as if you necessarily had had to have read book one, Heresy, if the continuous harping back to Bruno's history was anything to go by) but for those who do feel the need to read a series in order, a mention that this was a second book might have been nice.

A book that according to Amazon.co.uk (and once again I have only just found this out) is (and I quote) 'Perfect for fans of C. J. Sansom and Hilary Mantel'.

Really? 

For me personally; not nearly as good as Sansom whose Matthew Shardlake series I love and yet, bearing in mind that her Wolf Hall is one of the few books I have picked up only to have read a few chapters before mentally labelling it 'To be tried again at a later date', more to my taste than Mantel. 

Like Shardlake more brain than brawn/more intellectual, less super hero. Though that said, whilst obviously a man of learning, Bruno (excommunicated monk, scientist, philosopher, magician) was pretty clueless when it came to picking up on, well, the clues. More than that though, somehow lacking a certain je ne sais quoi, I just didn't take to Parris' protagonist in the same way I did Sansom's. 

With the question would I have enjoyed Prophecy any better if I hadn't read the Shardlake series left unanswered (and lets be honest here, this isn't a question I'm ever going to have the answer to), leaving any further comparisons to Sansom's Shardlake series aside ...

Peppered with actual historical characters, Bruno himself included. However, whatever the actual facts, a portrayal that didn't always ring true. A known heretic, that Parris  (the pseudonym of author and journalist Stephanie Merritt) had the Catholic's plotting the queen's demise distrusting Bruno whilst at the same time continually including him in their plans, Hmm! And then of course there were all his many all too 'convenient' escapes of which I'll say no more.   

OK, so the author creates a creditable London; evoking the sights, the sounds, the smells, the fashions, the mood of the time; sometimes to the point that they were in danger of being overly explained which, thinking about it, may well have been the reason why I was unusually impatient to get down to the nitty-gritty (as my nana was won't to say) which proved to be frustrating given that it wasn't until, what, the final quarter of the novel that the real action began ... and then only for the ending to be what I considered rushed and all too obvious. On the plus side though, that there were loose ends guaranteed a further novel.

Lacking any particularly original plot devices; whilst hardly something that hasn't been done before, the inclusion of astrology, prophecy, necromancy and divination nevertheless got a big thumbs up from me. 

The big question though ... will I be pursuing the further  exploits of this Elizabethan sleuth? 

Let's just say that I can't see myself seeking out any of the other books let alone buying them. However, if I was to have picked up a copy in the library/at a charity shop not having realised it was one of the other books (and yes, that includes the first one) in what is currently a series of six I wouldn't be overly disappointed.

SUMMED UP IN A SENTENCE ... Though I have read better books of this genre, anyone in the market for a historical thriller full of political intrigue in which they can immerse themselves in period detail could do worse than consider this.


Image result for name felicity

8 comments:

Brian Joseph said...

I guess that a lot of mysteries, even historical ones, are self contained books. Still, I am a stickler for reading series in order. I agree that somewhere on the book cover the fact that it is part of a series should be noted.

sherry fundin said...

i always wonder if it's the author's or publisher's intent to lure us in by not exposing whether it's book one or two or a series or how many there will be....
sherry @ fundinmental

Karen said...

I'm not really a fan of author comparisons. They are so rarely true.

And yes!!! Why don't books list that is a series or what # in the series??

These things only hurt the author in the long run.

Karen @ For What It's Worth

Kelly said...

I agree with Karen above... I hate when the cover of a novel compares it to other books/authors. So seldom does that work for me. I love the Shardlake series, though I'm caught up there. I have the first Mantel book on my wish list through the library. I've heard others really enjoyed it.

As for being book two. I'm a stickler, so I'd have to get the first, were I to try this series.

bermudaonion said...

That's not my favorite time period, so I'll probably skip this one.

nightwingsraven said...

Felicity,
I agree with Kelly and Karen
about authors' comparisons.
Although I am taking your
objections to heart this book
still sounds interesting and
I will keep it in mind. And thank
you for your excellent review.
Raven

Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

Hi Felicity,

I am no fan of author comparisons either, as no two authors who write in exactly the same genre, would necessarily appeal to a similar reading audience. So much depends on the 'style' of writing and the use of dialogue and narrative between characters.

I am also not a great series reader, so by default I find myself dipping in and out of a series. I therefore like each book to be a self contained story, where I don't need to know too much detail about any recurring back story.

I also find it infuriating that authors and publishers don't find it necessary when listing other books, to actually indicate their numerical position in a series, so that you know which order the read them in!

I know it isn't always possible when making an impulse buy from a charity shop or similar stall, but when I buy from home, I generally check out the author on …

www.fantasticfiction.com

where they list all the books by series, number in the series and publication date - Oh! and they generally indicate if a book has been previously published under a different title, which I find equally infuriating!

As for this particular book, it is not something I could ever see myself reading, unless I had time to spare and not another book to hand - sorry!

Take care and stay safe during this medical emergency :)

Yvonne
xx