28 Jan 2020

ZOMBIE BRITANNICA.


Contains what may be considered spoilers, to view the full contents simply scroll over the test indicated.

ZOMBIE BRITANNICA by THOMAS EMSON.


In 2009, Canadian researchers warned that a zombie plague would wipe out civilization ...unless we were ready ...
WE WEREN'T 
As temperatures reach unprecedented levels, the dead rise - and eat the living. There is no warning. There is no time to prepare. And with tens of thousands dead or infected, another waking nightmare comes to terrorize the survivors...

THE UNDEAD'S VICTIMS NOW RISE UP, A NEW WAVE OF ZOMBIES HUNGRY FOR HUMAN FLESH.

As the nation teeters on the edge of extinction, those who survived the onslaught fight for their lives, and for the lives of their loved ones ...
CARRIE ASHER must battle her way across the blood-soaked streets of London to save her six-year-old daughter who is locked in the basement of their home a " with her zombie-infected father upstairs. VINCENT MASKELL is trapped in a Welsh castle with the girl he loves. But how can he be her knight in shining armour with a zombie army besieging the medieval fort and the humans inside slowly losing their minds? 
CRAIG MURRAY and his family are stuck in a traffic jam in Scotland when the zombies attack. But when his younger sister is kidnapped, he is forced to confront a human monster as well as the undead hordes. 

The odds are against us. The zombie throng is growing. Our numbers are dwindling ...

WELCOME TO ZOMBIE BRITANNICA
- Back Cover Blurb 

The dead burst in while Carrie Asher spoke on the phone with Boyd, begging him not to go to the pub today of all days.
- First Sentence; Part One: Heatwave, Chapter One: Westminster Abbey, London, England - 9.31AM, July 3

Mum said "They must be on drugs or something. Has there been some kind of music festival?"
"Mum, hippies who go to rock festivals don't eat people alive."
- Memorable Moment; Page 67


SOURCE ... Ex library stock.

READ FOR A CHALLENGE? ... No.

MY THOUGHTS: Uh-Uh! I've made a mistake. Lots of graphic, gratuitous scenes of zombies feasting on humans, over usage of the 'F' word, the plot jumping around; alternating between the various UK locations and four main characters, I've not just made a mistake, potentially I've made a big mistake.

Oh! Hang on a minute ...

Graphic, gratuitous scenes of zombies feasting on humans lessening or certainly becoming less graphic/ gratuitous, not as much use of the 'F' words. Yes, the plot jumps around but as it turns out, not too confusing, if anything it actually serves to heighten the sense of peril that prevails throughout and its interesting how the four main characters are connected in someway or other. Maybe this wasn't such a big mistake after all.

Surprisingly thought provoking at times, the more gruesome elements tempered by some genuinely funny moments that actually had me laughing out loud on occasion

The cast of characters, truly memorable if a tad cliched at times, nevertheless it was interesting getting to know them, to learn of their foibles and, in most cases, grow to care what became of them.

Refreshingly different. As with so much zombie fiction here there is no mention of the army/police or any self styled survivalists coming to the rescue. There is no arsenal of weaponry that just so happens to be at hand, it really is a case of every man, woman and child for him/herself, their only defence, whatever comes to hand. 

As mentioned previously, at times gory (it could just be me but on occasion stomach churningly gory), the thing that really set Zombie Britannica aside for me however is that, far from being about the obvious monsters, it is the not so obvious monsters; Spoiler begins >>> the gang of youths who think it funny to feed their friends to the zombies (that is of course after they have firstly dangled their terrified victims above the clawing hands of the undead), the gang of paedophiles who use the ongoing carnage, chaos, lack of law enforcement and, yes, fear to prey upon yet more youngsters <<< Spoiler ends that makes Zombie Britannica truly horrifying.


Image result for name felicity

11 comments:

Kelly said...

As with vampires and werewolves, I thought my interest in zombies was a thing of the past, but have to admit that by the time I finished your review, I found this almost tempting. I'm glad you stuck with it, despite the questionable start.

sherry fundin said...

love your review. had me smiling all the way through. i read some zombie and you have made me curious about this one. lol
sherry @ fundinmental

Brian Joseph said...

Zombie stories are so popular these days. I would want to find originality in such a story. It is good to know that there is some to this book.

Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

Hi Felicity,

I am so pleased that after something of a false start, this one turned out to be a little better than you had anticipated. However, despite your constructive review, zombies, werewolves and vampires, are books I tend to avoid at all costs.

Perhaps that is a little unfair, as I have never really given the genres a chance to change my mind, but I have so many books to read without them, that I don't really give it much thought, or miss the stories!

I hope that all is well with you. We are both just about getting on our feet after having endured the many stages of whatever virus we had. Christmas Day, which was the last day either of us felt really well, seems like an awfully long time ago! :)

Yvonne
xx

nightwingsraven said...

Felicity,
After reading your review
I am still uncertain about
this book, but perhaps I will
keep it in mind.
And thank you for your nuanced
and excellent review.
Raven

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Sounds like an interesting read. I like that it had genuinely laugh out loud moments - those are always great!

-Lauren
www.shootingstarsmag.net

Melliane said...

It's been a while since I haven't read a zombies book

Ash said...

I love ANYTHING zombies. I've read more than I could ever count and this one looks really great. I know that anything zombies will be gory and bloody so I expect it.

Ash @ JennReneeRead

Karen said...

I'm going to have to tell my husband about this one. He's a big fan of zombie books/movies.

I'm sure this was way out of your comfort zone so I'm glad you ended up liking it.

Karen @ For What It's worth

Suko said...

Thank you for your review of the good, the bad, and "the zombie"! It sounds like you enjoyed this a great deal, overall. Terrific review, Felicity!

Kimberly @ Caffeinated Reviewer said...

I do like a good zombie book, and this sounds quite terrifying and those kids ..yikes!