5 Aug 2019

PRIME FILM REVIEWS (4 - 6)


Of Mice and Men PosterOF MICE AND MEN ...

Can you believe that up until now I'd never seen a movie (any movie) adaptation of this 1937 novel by John Steinbeck? After all I'd read the book and adaptions are very rarely (if ever) as good, right?

 Largely faithful to the book; the uplifting story of the bond, of the friendship between two men. Beautiful cinematography with some stellar performances - John Malkovich is commendable as the 'dim-witted' Lennie, the world weariness of George (here played by Gary Sinise who incidentally also directed) palpable and as for Ray Walston as Candy. What can I say? His face as he surrenders his aged canine companion to be 'put to sleep' by means of a gunshot to the head (thankfully not shown) heartbreaking and yet for some inexplicable reason on the whole it just didn't elicit the same emotional responses as the book. FGT

A faithful retelling of the classic novel of depression era America. Gary Sinese as George, doing his best to earn a crust of bread trailing from farm to farm in the hope of some work. Beleaguered as he is with Lennie, incapable of looking after himself portrayed by John Malkovich. Lennie's peculiar incapacity doubles down the struggle and difficulties they face and yet there is a peculiar bonding between these two men that is forged by tragic and difficult circumstances. It is in essence beautiful story telling of a sad tale. Curley's wife played by Sherilyn Fenn portrays a softer characterisation than Steinbeck writes and carries in that a victim-hood as counterpoint to that of Lennie.  A great story told very well in this adaptation. NJT

What We Do in the Shadows PosterWHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS ...

Having watched and really enjoyed the series (at least all but the last two episodes which at the time had yet to be aired on terrestrial telly here in the UK) Mr T and I eagerly
sat down to watch the film version which by the way predates the series by some five years.

Hmm! One of those instances in which I find myself unable to avoid comparing the two. Essentially lacking the laugh out loud moments; the inherent silliness, the characters not as likeable and difficult to invest in ... to say nothing of the fact that this is missing my favourite the “Energy Vampire” Colin Robinson (Mark Proksch) who drains the life force from his victims by drawing them into inane conversations ... I think it highly likely that if we had seen this first we may not have gone on to watch the series. That said, less than ninety minutes long, I can think of worse ways to spend the time. FGT

Hmmm.... kind of wish i had seen the film before I'd seen the TV adaptationThe film was a bit odd although the satirisation of the vampire genre was obvious from the outset, there were too many moments where the cognitive dissonance was not a clean cut as satire truly requires. There's some wit in there and set piece 'oh how difficult it is being a vampire' but it didn't really hang together for me as a movie and felt more like several sketches from a series that just happened to be edited end to end.  What I'm hoping were some life down under (New Zealand) cultural references that I didn't get may just be my ignorance but I did not develop any real affection for any of the main characters or even approach caring about them.  Watch it... it may be me, but the TV adaptation is much much sillier. NJT

Cate Blanchett, Jack Black, and Owen Vaccaro in The House with a Clock in Its Walls (2018)
THE HOUSE WITH A CLOCK IN ITS WALLS ...

Its star (Jack Black) an actor whose films I either like or don't like - for me there is no in between  as far as this is concerned - alas this film falls firmly in the latter category with neither Cate Blanchett nor its child star Owen Vaccaro able to save it.

Not the Harry Potter type film I had been expecting - parents Beware, this isn't a film I would suggest for younger or sensitive children  - there are some genuinely frightening moments involving scary toys/dolls (including the obligatory clown) etc and, given its PG rating (explained here)some what some would consider dark themes including rather disturbingly I thought spoiler starts ...  a witch who disguises herself as the 10-year old Lewis's dead mother ... spoiler ends. FGT


Yes, an ok movie, with an interesting premise of departed wizard who has essentially invested his life and work in his house, now occupied by a lacklustre second rate wizard in Jack Black. Not his best moment to be honest but he holds the narrative through the film although this makes his dialogue somewhat dull on long winded. Much sharper is Cate Blanchett as his muse and nominal love interest, a woman of mystery who helps him cope with the arrival of his young nephew into the midst of the unfolding story. It felt like a bit of a mannerly and reasonable way to spend almost two hours, but rather like a long mystery that suddenly and disappointingly unfolds very quickly leaving a bit of fizzle instead of a bang in its denouement. NJT

Based on Kelly's One Sentence Movie Reviews of which you can see her latest by clicking here




Image result for name felicity

11 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm not familiar with any of these. I think I read Of Mice and Men in high school, but that was so long ago I honestly don't remember! The casting sounds good, but talking about putting down the dog brings back horrible memories of Old Yeller. Ugh.

Brian Joseph said...

I have only seen the 1939 film version of Of Mice and Men. Like your own commentary, I have heard good things about this newer version. I should give it a try. It has a great cast.

Sherry Ellis said...

I don't believe I've ever seen a film adaptation of Mice and Men, either. Sometimes it's disappointing to see the film after reading the book. A lot of things are usually left out.

Melliane said...

I don't think I've watched one of them but I heard about the last one

sherry fundin said...

haven't seen any of them, so i do appreciate your reviews.
sherry @ fundinmental

Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

Hi Felicity,

I too, haven't seen any of your selection this time, although like others, I did study 'Of Mice And Men' at school.

I really like Gary Sinese's acting style and characterisations, however despite the amazing ratings and reviews, I still have one or two reservations about watching it.

Thanks for sharing such a great selection to tempt us with. Hubbie watches so many films that I can't keep up with them all to share them!

Yvonne :)

Gina said...

Have not read or watched OF MICE AND MEN, nor your second movie versus Tv choice there, but I have READ the last one, and the book was actually GOOD in its own strange and off kilter way...though I have to agree, not for wee kiddos.

nightwingsraven said...

Felicity,
Of the three films which you and Mr. T.
reviewed here, I really would like to see
Of Mice and Men.
And thank both of you for your honest and
excellent reviews.
Raven

Alexia561 said...

Embarrassed to say that not only have I not seen the movie Of Mice and Men, but I haven't read the book. Not really my type of story.

Haven't seen the original What We Do In The Shadows movie, but love the TV version! I agree that Colin Robinson is a favorite, as I think we've all worked with an energy vampire at some point.

The House With a Clock In It's Walls doesn't sound very intriguing. I remember seeing commercials for it when it first came out, so looks like I didn't miss much.

Really enjoy your joint reviews!

Literary Feline said...

Of Mice and Men is the only one of these I have heard of--and I am afraid I haven't seen it (or read the book).

Karen said...

I watched the What We Do in the Shadows movie first so I like dit but I thought the TV show was so much better. I hope there's a S2.

And I agree about the House of Clocks in it's Walls. It was...okay but felt kind of genreic.

Karen @ For What It's Worth