13 Feb 2019

JUNG: THE KEY IDEAS.

JUNG: THE KEY IDEAS by RUTH SNOWDEN.


Jung: the Key Ideas will introduce you to the life and work of the founder of analytical psychology. It explains all the essential concepts, from the collective unconscious to archetypes in dreams. Expressing Jung's sometimes complex ideas in simple terms, and backed up with references to his own texts, this is an essential introduction to a fascinating figure.
- Back Cover Blurb 

Carl Jung was a Swiss psychologist and psychiatrist . He is famous because he founded a system of psychology that he called analytical psychology.
- First Sentence; Only Got A  Minute?

Jung agreed with Freud when he said that dreams often arose from emotional     upsets, in which complexes were frequently involved. These complexes were like tender spots in the psyche that easily reacted to external stimulus or disturbance. However, Jung pointed out that one can also explore complexes by means of word-association tests, meditation or conversation - they do not have to wait to be uncovered by a dream.
Memorable Moment; Page 102

SOURCE ... Borrowed.

READ FOR A CHALLENGE? ... No.

MY THOUGHTS ... Covering key concepts by way of everything from 'Jung's life and career' and 'Jung the visionary' by way of, amongst other topics,'Dreams and symbols' and 'Religion and spirituality', I thought this a concise, perfectly adequate if somewhat basic introduction to the life and work of one of psychology's most well known names. The laying out what we can expect to learn at the beginning of each chapter; the short bullet point summary at the end making it easy to dip in and out of as and when and thus not at all daunting.

Download the book here.

8 comments:

Kelly said...

It's been years (decades!) since I studied Jung, so I'm sure I would find this an interesting refresher. It sounds like it's laid out quite well.

Gina said...

Curious indeed! Sounds like it would make a great introduction to a study of his work. Thanks for the share!

Brian Joseph said...

I really should read this. I only know the basics of Jung’s theories. I got this from an introduction to psychology class that I took long ago. Jung was so influential on so many things. Understanding his ideas is so important. His views were even referenced in the Franz Fannon book that I read.

Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

I don't tend to read an awful lot of non-fiction, although this is a book I would have on the shelves to dip in and out of from time to time.

In fact, hubbie already has dozens of such books stacked on his office shelves, so I must see if this one is already a part of his collection.

I also just noticed that your last book was a Mitch Albom, which despite it being fictional, hubbie also reads avidly, although I know for a fact he owns and has read this one several times!

You seem to be on something of a more serious reading streak right now, so thanks for sharing and take care :)

Yvonne

Suko said...

Tracy,
I haven't read Jung in years! I could use a quick refresher course. Thank you for your excellent, concise review, and for the link to the book download.

nightwingsraven said...

Tracy,
This sounds like a good, basic
introduction to Jung's thought
provoking ideas. And I will add
it to my list.
Thank you for your excellent review.
Raven

sherry fundin said...

Books like this always interest me. I love learning how the mind works, through fact and fiction.
sherry @ fundinmental

So many books, so little time said...

I read him and others in his field when I was at college, that was enough for me even now LOL, interesting but some of the stuff is a bit out there xxx

Lainy http://www.alwaysreading.net