25 Apr 2018

THE HERMETICA: THE WISDOM OF THE PHARAOHS.



THE HERMETICA: THE WISDOM OF THE PHARAOHS* by TIMOTHY FREKE & PETER GANDY.


The Hermetica is a forgotten spiritual classic, which has fascinated and inspired the greatest minds in Western history. This new version by Timothy Freke and Peter Gandy brings to life the wisdom of ancient Egypt for our modern age, revealing its profound relevance to our lives today.

Through the all-seeing Mind,
I myself have been witness
of the invisible things of Heaven,
and through contemplation
come to Knowledge of the Truth.
This knowing I have set down in these writings ....
- Back Cover Blurb

'Wise words,
although written
by my decaying hand,
remain imperishable
through time;
Imbued with the medicine
of immortality
by the All-Master.
- First Sentence Verse, The Last Words of Thrice Great Hermes


We are the heirs and propagators of Paganism. Happy is he who for the sake of Paganism bears the burden of persecution with firm hope. Who else have civilised the world and built cities if not the nobles and kings of Paganism? Who else have set in order the harbours and the rivers? And who else have taught the hidden wisdom? To whom else has the Deity revealed itself, given oracles, and told about the future, if not the famous men amongst the Pagans? The Pagans have made known all of this. They have discovered the art of healing the body, they have also made known the art of healing the soul; they have filled the earth with settled forms of government and with wisdom which is the highest good. Without Paganism the world would be empty and miserable. 
- Thabbit Ibn Qurra 
- Memorable Moment, Page 11, Introduction

SOURCE ... On my TBR mountain for so long, alas I cannot remember.

READ FOR A CHALLENGE? ... Yes.

  • Mount TBR Reading Challenge 2018; 2 of 12 books.

MY THOUGHTS ... Given that the Hermetica readings in their entirety are considered by the authors to be too dense for the average reader whilst superficial in places, this is a concise introduction that is neither too heavy or, as is so often the case, as dull as ditch water.

Valuable as a general guide, or indeed companion piece. A great starting point for anyone wanting to get a basic understanding of what the Hermetica is. Arguably a good choice for those that, though interested in the philosophy of ancient Egypt and/or sacred traditions, don't have a huge insight. 

* Download the book here.


5 comments:

Kelly said...

This does sound interesting and might be something I'd consider at some point. I do like learning about new (ancient) things. Glad to hear it didn't end up being dull for you. I can still remember my disappointment when I read "Meditations" by Marcus Aurelius. Despite all its rave reviews (over the centuries, too, I presume), I found it to be boring and repetitive.

Suko said...

Tracy, I'm glad you enjoyed this newfangled classic, and also reduced the size of your TBR mountain. :)

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

Sounds like a subject that would interest me and I'm glad it wasn't dull like you feared. Hm... might have to check it out.

Anonymous said...

Tracy,
This sounds definitely like an
interesting subject and I will
add the book to my list.
Raven

DMS said...

Sounds like a good one to refer to when needed. Glad it wasn't dull and awesome that you got your TBR pile down a little bit. :)
~Jess