16 Jan 2018

ANNOUNCING THE 'WHAT'S IN A NAME?', 'MOUNT TBR' & 'GOODREAD' CHALLENGES 2018

What's In A Name 2018 logo Thanks once again to Charlie for hosting the increasingly popular challenge. If you haven't already done so click here to sign up and/or read the full terms and conditions.

As always the challenge runs from January through to December 2018 and has six categories. To make it even harder on myself I like to read books that either Mr T or I already have. And so, without further ado, I give you the 2018 categories with Charlie's ideas in brackets, books I might read in red (where there is more than one option, the most likely option is in italics) ...

  • The word ‘the’ used twice (The Secret By The Lake; The End Of The Day, The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time): Ramses, The Son Of The Light by Christian Jacq OR The Restaurant At The End Of The World by Douglas Adams OR The Day I Fell Down The Toilet by Steve Turner
  • A fruit or vegetable (The Guernsey Literary And Potato Peel Pie Society; The Particular Sadness Of Lemon Cake): Almonds And Raisins by Maisie Moscoe OR Five Quarters Of The Orange by Joanne Harris
  • A shape (The Ninth Circle, The Square Root Of Summer, Circle Of Friends): ????
  • A title that begins with Z – Can be after ‘The’ or ‘A’ (Zen In The Art Of Writing; The Zookeeper’s Wife, Zelda): Zelda's Cut by Philippa Gregory
  • A nationality (Anna And The French Kiss; How To Be A Kosovan Bride; Norwegian Wood): Delizia! The Epic History Of The Italians And Their Food by John Dickie
  • A season (White Truffles In Winter; The Spring Of Kasper Meier; The Summer Queen; Before I Fall; The Autumn Throne): ???
Hmm! Looks like I could come un-stuck with a book with a shape in the title and a book with a season in the title unless a search through the boxes waiting to go to the charity shop throws up something.

After last years challenge saw me clear a respectful 24 books off my TBR mountain I thought I'd sign up to this years challenge aiming for the somewhat less lofty heights of Pike's Peak with its 12 books. To find out more about the challenge and/or sign up head over to Bev's My Reader's Block by clicking here.

Oh, and for those of you signed up to this years Goodread challenge, how many books are you planing on reading this year? After a disappointing 74 out of 104 last year, I decided on a less ambitious total of 80 books this year.

Have any preference as to which book(s) you'd like me to read for my What's In A Name challenge? Care to share which books you'll be reading if you are taking part? Or are you hosting/participating in any other challenges you'd like to share with us?

10 comments:

Lauren said...

I have Goodreads at 100; that's kind of where I keep it every year, but we'll see how it goes! I'm doing well so far but you never know how the rest of the year will go, if things get really busy or something. I've read Circle of Friends; that's a good one! I hope you can find books for those two categories. :)

-Lauren
www.shootingstarsmag.net

Kelly said...

I think I've got mine all sorted out, except for the double "the" book, for which I do have a couple of options on my shelf.

I'm curious about your Z book by Philippa Gregory and look forward to your review.

Sherry Ellis said...

80 seems to be the magic number. I just visited someone else's blog. She's aiming for 80, too. Good luck reading all those!

Brian Joseph said...

This is a really neat challenge. It seems like it would be such fun picking books. Whichever ones that you decide on, Happy Reading!

Suko said...

Tracy,
Your book ambition is terrific! I don't count how many books I've read, only how much I've enjoyed them. But I truly admire your willingness to participate--so creatively--in these reading challenges. Happy reading!

Literary Feline said...

Good luck with your challenges this year, Tracy! I am doing the What's in a Name one as well. I set my Goodreads goal at my minimum goal, but hopefully I will surpass it.

Anonymous said...

Tracy,
I just want to wish you good luck
with these reading challenges! And
I am certain that you will enjoy them
very much.
Raven

Stephanie@Fairday's Blog said...

80 seems like a good number! Sometimes we read a little more, sometimes a little less. It also depends on the books we are reading (length, if we read it fast, like it, don't like it, etc.).

Wishing you the best of luck with your challenges and, as always, looking forward to your reviews!

Gina said...

I bow down to your challenge-goddess-like status. I've yet to join one of the many enticing ones out there in all my blogging time, but I kinda create my own with the schedule I set... ^-^ Happy reading!

Karen said...

I ended up reading over 200 books last year but it usually varies from 70-ish to 200 so I went with 100 this year.

I'm concentrating on that TBR pile!

For What It's Worth