1 Dec 2017

THE CLOCKWORK DARK TRILOGY: BOOKS 2 & 3.

You may remember my raving about the first book in this series, J.C. Bemis Proudly Presents The Mystifying Medicine Show, by Jean Claude Bemis way back in September. Well, we've finally managed to track down the other two books that conclude the trilogy (please click on book title for synopsis but be warned they do contain some spoilers). 

Presents from MR T. My goodness were they difficult to track down. I've noticed that though The White City is now listed on amazon.co.uk (which it wasn't at the time), The Wolf Tree still isn't and neither book is listed on amazon.com. 


THE WOLF TREE.

Flickers of emerald buds were emerging on the mountainside.
- First Sentence, Chapter 1: Shuckstack

Ray knew a number of hoodoo spells that could over-power or at least persuade the man to leave them alone. But they all required Black Sampson root or coffin nails or any number of items he didn't have on him.
-Memorable Moment, page 118


MY THOUGHTS ... So often overshadowed by the first and second, the beginning and end in any trilogy, and yet my favourite of all three books. 

The author's world building just got better (and believe me it was pretty exceptional in the first book, J.C. Bemis Proudly Presents The Mystifying Medicine Show), the American 'tall tales combined with other myths and legends (there was definitely some Norse mythology in there unless I'm very much mistaken) had me itching to read up on them and, oh my goodness, those characters. Those introduced in the first book went from strength to strength with some of my favourites playing a much larger part as the story was told not only through the eyes of Ray but also several others (including one who came as quite a surprise) and as for the new ones? Well, lets just say I loved Quorl, his fight to keep his humanity as he travelled in search of the dying Wolf Tree (surely a nod towards Yggdrasil, Tree of Life) compelling in itself.


Buck rode behind the killer Stacker Lee.
- First Sentence, Chapter 1: Chicago

From their high vantage, the clockwork monster looked more like a pacing bull. The ground crackled with frost under its heavy paws. The cold drifted up on the breeze. As the Hoarhound neared the trunk of their tree, it stopped and sniffed the ground. 
- Memorable Moment, page 125

MY THOUGHTS ... Not a series you can dip in and out of at whim, as with most trilogies The Clockwork Dark books must be read in order. 

Marketed as being particularly suitable for those aged 8 to 13, as an adult I can testify this is just as worthy a read for those a lot older. And personally I'd regard the series as being more suitable for the upper age limit and above and because of some of the content would advise caution for younger or more sensitive readers.

Set partly in the 1883 World Fair, I thought the historical context combined with the fantastical a work of genius. The characters, flawed enough to give them depth. And that's just the 'goodies' ... the 'baddies', delightfully evil. I found myself not just curious about what would become of Ray and co but actually losing sleep needing to know. The multiple plot lines coming together nicely, all wrapped up in, what else but an exciting battle between good and evil. Yes, I think it fair to say this is a series  I thoroughly enjoyed from start to finish.

12 comments:

frayed at the edge said...

It's so frustrating when you know that a book exists, but you can't track down a copy! I recently bought what I thought was a quilting book - but when it arrived it was a DVD!!

Kelly said...

I wasn't convinced about the first book, but these two make the series sound more appealing. I love the wolves on the cover of book two. The third fascinates me because of how much I enjoyed the book "The Devil in the White City" by Erik Larson which tells of the Chicago World's Fair and the serial killer that worked the city in the background of the event. It's a true and exciting story!

DMS said...

Glad you were able to track these down. I think it is fantastic that you loved the last book in the series even more than the first two. Love when that happens. :)
~Jess

Brian Joseph said...

This sounds like a very good series. The 1883 World Fair seems like a great time and place to set a story such as this in.

It seems logical to comment on an entire Trilogy in one post, Sometimes I wish that authors would combine trilogies into one single book.

Anonymous said...

Tracy,
The first book is already
on my list. But you have
convinced me to add The
Wolf Tree and The White
City as well.
And thank you for your
excellent review.
Raven

Melliane said...

I confess that I didn't know about these books but they look good!

The Bookworm said...

Glad you enjoyed this series, the 1883 World Fair setting is very interesting. Happy weekend!

Natasha said...

Ah I hate it when there's a book you're after but you ca't find it anywhere! I've only had it happen to me a couple of times, but it's so frustrating so glad you were able to get a copy of it for your blog. These sound really good, so will have to try and keep an eye out for them! Love your reviews, as always Tracy. - Tasha

So many books, so little time said...

I love the cover for The Wolf Tree, not a series I have heard of but think just on your words and the cover I will go and have a look at the first one. Not that I need more books :P xxx

Lainy http://www.alwaysreading.net

Sherry Ellis said...

Sounds like a fascinating series. I'll have to put these books on my list.

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

It has been too long since I read a steampunk novel. These look so good and thanks for sharing! I'm going to have to try to hunt this series down. :)

Gina said...

Ooh! I have to say this DOES look good...sounds it too. Thanks for the endorsement...Ill see about tracking down a copy here in the states...