18 Dec 2017

(JANE YELLOWROOK SERIES #1): SKINWALKER.


SKINWALKER by FAITH HUNTER.


Last year Jane nearly lost her life taking down a deadly family of vampires who preyed on the helpless local populace. Now, after months of recuperation, she's back and ready to fight again. Except this time, she's been hired by those she's trained to kill - vampires. 

Jane Yellowrock is the last of her kind-a skinwalker of Cherokee descent who can turn into any creature she desires and hunts vampires for a living. But now she's been hired by Katherine Fontaneau, one of the oldest vampires in New Orleans and the madam of Katie's Ladies, to hunt a powerful rogue vampire who's killing other vamps...

Amidst a bordello full of real 'ladies of the night' and a hot Cajun biker with a panther tattoo who stirs her carnal desire, Jane must stay focused and complete her mission ... or else the next skin she'll need to save may be her own.
- Back Cover blurb

I wheeled my bike down Decatur Street and eased deeper into the French Quarter, the bike's engine purring.
- First Sentence, Chapter 1: I Travel Light

I understood immediately. It was okay to nearly kill someone, but not by accident. Feudal attitudes, something the vamps had left over from, well, from feudal times.
Memorable Moment, Page 62

SOURCE: Given to me by a friend.

READ FOR: Not applicable.

READ FOR: Hurrah! Book 24 of 24 books read for the Mount TBR 2017 Reading Challenge.

MY THOUGHTS: Exactly the kind of cover I normally avoid. I hate the leather clad chic with a large weapon poised on a bike almost as much as I do the cover featuring a male with a bare chest as smooth as, well, as a babies bottom who invariably will be  wearing either leather trousers or a kilt. Oh dear, given to me by a friend, this doesn't bode well. Still, never judge a book by its cover and all that ...
  • Characters I didn't care for .. tick. Whilst I don't necessarily have to like a character, it is important that I can relate to them and/or find them interesting etc. All a bit, well, flat. Alas I didn't take to any of the characters - no, not one of them.
  • Too much gore .. tick. OK, its 'Urban Fantasy' with a skinwalker and vampires but really???
  • Overly descriptive to the point of being mundane at times .. tick.
  • Overly knowledgeable and all too keen to share that knowledge with us, the reader .. tick. The lengths to which she went to (over)explain certain things!!! 
  • Lacking in sexual tension/chemistry .. tick. Not that this is an aspect of any book that I particularly relish, a book without is fine by me BUT if you are going to feature it, do it well.
Whilst there seems to be an awful lot of negatives, what turned out to be an okay read in so much as, not a lot to it really, Skinwalker didn't take any thinking about. Something I might have complained about in other circumstances but, as it was, it was just what I needed at the time of reading.



5 comments:

Kelly said...

Your review just confirmed what I'd already suspected, having read the blurb. At least it served its purpose as a mindless read for you. Congratulations on completing the TBR challenge in the process!

Suko said...

Tracy, thanks for your honest review. This does not sound like my kind of book.

Brian Joseph said...

This one looks like it could be so bad that it is actually good. Sometimes over the top works. However, Just OK seems to indicate that this book does not even reach that level of entertainment.

Anonymous said...

Tracy,
I, too appreciate your honest and critical
review and I will not add this book to my
list.
Raven

Melliane said...

I liked it but didn't adore it. I have book two thoughso I need to try it!