8 Oct 2015

FLASH AND BONES (TEMPE BRENNAN #14)


Flash and BonesFLASH AND BONES by KATHY REICHS.

INNER FRONT COVER BLURB: In a refuse dump next to the Charlotte racetrack, a flash of lightning illuminates a hand reaching out of a barrel of asphalt.

There's not much that can shock Dr Tempe Brennan, forensic anthropologist, but even she finds the sight of the hand macabre. And with race week just a day away, she's under pressure to find answers and clear the area before thousands of NASCAR fans arrive. 

- Full of spoilers to read a full unabridged synopsis click on the book title.

FIRST SENTENCE {Chapter 1}: Looking back, I think of it as race week in the rain.

MEMORABLE MOMENT {Page 111}: "Did you discuss Cindi's nervousness with your folks" I asked.

"You think they sought my middle school views on my high school sister's mood swings?"

MY THOUGHTS: Whilst I have of course enjoyed some books in the series more than others generally speaking I'm a huge fan of these Kathy Reichs books (along with Faye Kellerman she's my favourite when it comes to this genre) which is why I feel compelled to ask anyone new to the series who has started with this, the 14th book, to consider reading one of the earlier instalments.

Self contained in so much as each deals with a different case I'd nevertheless suggest the books are best read from the beginning and in order if you want to get the best out of them - after all they aren't all about the crimes but also Tempe's relationships etc. However this is not my only reason for suggesting a previous book(s) be read. More than a tad disappointed with Flash And Bones part of me would hate to think that people went away thinking this was the best this author had to offer.

With a poorer than usual plot, little in the way of tension and even less in the way of forensics (my favourite aspect of the books), even the relationships seemed a bit contrived, I'm afraid this for me has very little to recommend it. Unless of course you have a fascination with stock car racing in which case it might hold a bit more appeal.

Tempted as I am to give this a 'I liked it' rating (equating to three stars on GoodReads/four on amazon.co.uk) because I think previous books so much better I'm afraid it's an 'It's OK' two/three stars (depending on which site I'm reviewing it on) for me. 

TBR READ-A-THON.Having read 3 books - The Fourth Lad by Sydney Carr, Cranky, Beautiful Faith For Irregular (And Regular) People by Nadia Bolz-Weber and Demons Not Included by Cheyeen McCray - I also managed to read 220 of the 271 pages of this book before the deadline for the Read-A-Thon thus making my TBR pile just short of four books smaller than it was.

9 comments:

Brian Joseph said...

I am a stickler for reading books in order so I would always start at the beginning.

I would have to think that after 14 books it be difficult for an author to maintain a high level of quality.

Kelly said...

Like Brian, I seldom ever read a series out of order. I've heard so many good things about this author that anytime I see a review, I'm tempted to begin the series. Since I've just started the Louise Penny books, I guess this one will have to wait a little longer.

I agree that after 14 books it can be hard to keep things fresh and up to par. But...I've also read several long-running series that have lagged around this point, then come back better than ever in later books. Hopefully that's what will happen for you with this series.

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Sorry this wasn't a great one in the series. It seems like the longer a series goes on, the harder it is to have really good editions every time.

Sherry Ellis said...

That's too bad that this book wasn't a favorite.

Unknown said...

ouch seems like the last two reads just did not work for you ;/

Yanting Gueh said...

Lol, I like that memorable moment dialogue!

Melliane said...

Too bad that it wasn"t one of the best. I only trued one book in the series and it was ok but nothing more so I never tried more but maybe one day if you say that some are better than others.

Gina said...

Aww. Too bad it didn't live up to the former installments...hate it when that happens. Experienced it myself with the Scarpetta series by Patricia Cornwell. Love your suggestion of starting with an earlier release though...lends your stamp of approval to the series. ^-^

The Bookworm said...

I have heard of Kathy Reichs before. It always amazes me how these authors can write so many installments. But it's no wonder some of the books will fall flat. I too enjoy forensics details in reads like these.