14 Sept 2015

MEDIA MONDAY: AWARDED TO .....

Please note: Whilst I endeavour to keep Media Monday family friendly some of the articles featured do have links to articles of a more adult nature. TT

# The winner for the most understated sentence in an article goes to .....

'He's probably never going to be a criminal mastermind' (You don't say. TT) A 42 year old Somerset man has been indicted in a court after he 'butt-dialled' police from the mobile phone in his back pocket while discussing plans to burgle a property with his friend.

# The award for getting right the name of 'He Who Cannot Be Named' goes to .... seemingly only the author as ...

JK Rowling admits that she is the only person who says Voldemort, the Harry Potter villain's name, as she intended.

# Awarded for being the article most likely to interest Mr T ... 

Experts have concluded that sending whisky into space does enhance the taste after having opened a vial of un-matured malt from the Ardbeg distillery on the remote Scottish island of Islay was sent to the International Space Station in 2011 it was agreed that the space samples were definitely different from those kept on Earth.

# And the award for the EU article that had me chuckling?


An alternative medicine conference in Germany ended in chaos when dozens of delegates were taken to hospital having taken a hallucinogenic drug. Police are still trying to work out if they took the drug knowingly according to this report in the Daily Kos.)



11 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm sure there are many, many books I read where I mispronounce names, especially place names (thinking of the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo book in particular!).

Brian Joseph said...

I bet that after that article, legions of Harry Potter fans will now be pronouncing Voldemort's name the "right" way.

Shooting Stars Mag said...

I have a difficult time pronouncing names correctly from books - they just have such odd names these days, esp. with fantasy, etc. haha

But wow, he butt dialed the police while planning a burglary? What a guy!

Karen said...

I love all the funny things you manage to find on the internet lol

Karen @For What It's Worth

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

I heard about the voldemort thing. Oh and I would so be the one butt dialing the cops if I ever tried that. LOL

Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

Hi Tracy,

Pronouncing place, or some characters names, quite often poses a challenge and I am certain that I get then wrong more times than I get them right!

I did have to chuckle at the ineptitude of the Somerset would be burglar, although as I don't know the places mentioned in the article and it doesn't actually say where he lives, I am going to excuse myself from living in the same county as someone quite so stupid :)

All new stories to me this week, I must be slipping :)

Yvonne

Suko said...

Tracy, I love how you gave these stories special awards. Thank you for sharing some humorous news.

Gina said...

Ha! Okay so no one said criminals or those in the making were the smartest bunch, point proven and regarding old Voldy's name, of course she's the only one pronouncing it as intended. It came from her mind! ^-^

LL Cool Joe said...

The criminal making a phone call to the police with his butt is the type of thing I'd do, so it's just as well I'm such a law-abiding citizen. :D

anilkurup59 said...

Sure the Somerset man needs to go back to school.

anilkurup59 said...

Sure the Somerset man needs to go back to school.