25 Sept 2015

KITTY AND THE DEAD MAN'S HAND.


KITTY AND THE DEAD MAN'S HAND by CARRIE VAUGHN.

BACK COVER BLURB: (Contains spoilers, scroll over text to view synopsis if you so wish) Kitty Norville and Ben O'Farrell are the alpha pair of Denver's werewolf pack, and now they plan to tie the knot human-style - by eloping to Vegas! Kitty is looking forward to sipping fru-fru drinks by the pool and doing 'Kitty's Midnight Hour', her popular radio talk show, on live TV ...

But things don't quite go according to plan. Her hotel is packed with werewolf-hating bounty hunters. An old-school magician might have more than the power of illusion at his fingertips. The local vampire community is harbouring a dark secret. And the irresistible star of a highly suspicious animal act is determined to seduce Kitty. Las Vegas has never been so wild, and Kitty has never had to fight harder, to save not only her wedding, but her very life.

FIRST SENTENCE {Chapter 1}: This was embarrassing.

MEMORABLE MOMENT {Page 179}: "A werewolf isn't supposed to have parents," Brenda said, grumbling. "They're not supposed to have mothers. How am I supposed to shoot you now, knowing it'll upset that really nice woman?"

SOURCE: Purchased from amazon.co.uk

MY THOUGHTS: In a word, disappointing.

Amongst all the other werewolf novels that are available what sets the 'Kitty' series apart for me is the humour - well, that and the general lack of too much sex and male dominance. Thankfully not lacking any of its sense of fun, what was missing for me in this particular instalment  (the fifth book in the series) was the lack of story.

What I've come to think of a 'bridging' novel, Kitty And The Dead Man's only purpose seemed to be a convenient  way of laying the foundations for the sixth book in the series.

Impatient for it to get anyway only to be left feeling disappointed that it never really did - or at least not satisfyingly so - overall I'd describe this as a 'damp squib' of a read.

Still, not to be put off. I fully intend to buy books six and seven but only because I already have book eight on my TBR pile. After that it remains to be seen whether or not I continue with a series I've up until now enjoyed.


   

8 comments:

Trac~ said...

Good morning and Happy Friday. Sorry to hear about the book being a disappointment. Hopefully, the last 2 in the series won't be. Hope you're feeling okay and have a great weekend! :)

Kelly said...

Well it's always a shame when a book disappoints like this. I hope for your sake that the next two are better since you're pretty much committed through book eight.

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

I liked this one, but then I loved their romance. I think they became a great couple that learned to support each other and I think this is a relationship building book that is necessary for the rest of the series. I hope you enjoy the next more though!

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Sorry you felt this was more of a filler book than anything else. Those are never fun! Thanks for sharing. :)

Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

Hi Tracy,

When you have enjoyed so many previous books in a series, to then get to the point where things take a downward slide so dramatically, must be a real let-down and disappointment.

I wonder if the books can be read as stand alones, or if they need to be read sequentially, as I would be sorely tempted to read book 8 which you already have, to gauge whether or not it is worth the effort of returning to books 6 and 7 at all!

Good Luck whatever you decide to do and enjoy your weekend :)

Yvonne

Melliane said...

I've only tried the first book in the series but one day I'll try book 2.

Brian Joseph said...

With all the Werewolf/ Vampire stories out there I would think that one would crave some originality that as you allude to, this series has.

I have found that many series begin to really run into trouble when they run beyond three books.

Suko said...

Thanks for a sincere review, Tracy. I'm sorry this one was a disappointment. I hope your weekend is relaxing. :)