2 Aug 2015

THE PHARAOH'S CAT.


THE PHARAOH'S CAT by MARIA LUISA LANG.

BACK COVER BLURB: The Pharaoh's Cat, narrated in the present tense by the cat himself, is the story of a free-spirited, quick-witted stray in Ancient Egypt who suddenly finds himself with human powers joined to his feline nature.

The cat immediately captures the attention of the seventeen-year-old Pharaoh, making him laugh for the first time since his parent's death, and is brought to live with him at the royal palace.

The cat also become friends with the High Priest of the god Amun-Ra and seeks his help in solving the mystery of his human powers and the supernatural manifestations that later plague him. He has an enemy in the Vizier - the Pharaoh's uncle and the second most powerful man in Egypt. The Vizier hates him for himself and even more for his relationship with the Pharaoh.

- An abridged version, please click on the book title to view full synopsis. 

FIRST SENTENCE {Chapter 1}: Water is filling my ears.

MEMORABLE MOMENT {Page 124}: Elena! I feel so guilty. If only I hadn't been such a glutton, she would still be free, the High Priest would be eating his four sandwiches and his Danish while washing it all down with coffee, and I would be nice and warm under his coat hating his guts.

SOURCE: My thanks to the author from whom the book was received for review.

MY THOUGHTS: Obviously a lover of both cats and Egypt, the author's fondness for both shines through in this, the first part of a series.

A time travel tale that takes us from ancient Egypt to modern day New York. Combining the history of ancient Egypt, a sweet romance, a pantomime villain and a talking cat with a great sense of humour The Pharaoh's Cat is as entertaining as it is educational.

But ....

Unsure as to exactly what age range this is targeted at as whilst some of the story line and explanations of ancient Egyptian life led me to believe perhaps older primary school readers (what I believe the Americans refer to as mid grade) upwards the authors usage of the word piss would suggest otherwise.

A humorous read from the off. Wrappa-Hamen's (the cat) mischievousness compelling. I did however feel that generally speaking it took Lang a while to find her stride, for the book to appeal  to me in the way that I hoped it would.

Still, with great potential. I'd be interested to see where the sequel (The Lady Of Mystery) and any other subsequent books in the series take us.


8 comments:

Kelly said...

Well it certainly sounds interesting, to say the least. I doubt it's a series I'll want to read, but I do look forward to your reviews as the books progress.

brandileigh2003 said...

The humor and potential sounds great

Literary Feline said...

It certainly sounds different! I am not sure this one would be for me, but I can think of a few of my friends who would enjoy it.

Suko said...

Thank you for your honest review. It sounds like a unique series that has a lot of potential.

Brian Joseph said...

I love cats so any tale that highlights one sounds really good to me.

In addition, this sounds very creative and different.

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

... but it did appeal to you in the end. So that is good. I've had books like that. Brilly review.

Gina said...

Glad it appealed to you though will have to watch for the target audience quandary when I read it in the coming weeks. Great review as usual!

Barbara said...

Hi Tracy, I enjoyed your review and think I would probably enjoy this one. Barbara