26 Sept 2014

LOVE IN SMALL LETTERS.

LOVE IN SMALL LETTERS by FRANCESC MIRALLES (Translated by Julie Wark).

SOURCE: Received for review from Alma Books.


THE BOOK {According to the back cover}: When Samuel wakes up on 1st January, he is convinced that the year ahead will bring nothing exciting or unusual – until a strange visitor bursts into his flat, determined not to leave. The appearance of Mishima, a stray cat, leads Samuel to a strange encounter with the enigmatic Valdemar and his neighbour Titus, with whom he had previously never exchanged a word, and is the catalyst for the incredible transformation that is about to occur in the secluded world he has built around himself.


As unexpected friendships develop out of these encounters and a childhood love is reignited, Samuel discovers, for the first time in his life, how small everyday acts can have the power to unleash a hurricane of feeling and awaken the heart from its slumber.


FIRST SENTENCE {1: Sea Of Fog: 650,000 Hours}: In no time at all the year was going to end and the new one was about to begin.


MEMORABLE MOMENT {Page 129}: Cats are said to be selfish, but in reality they're just smart. They won't come to you if they can make you go to them.


MY THOUGHTS: The story of Mishima, a stray cat who adopts the somewhat reclusive Samuel thus unravelling a chain of events which sees a group of essentially lonely people brought together and the flame of an old romance reignited. 


This really is a lovely read. Full of memorable characters (some of them deliciously eccentric) who quickly stole my heart. Love In Small letters is definitely one for those readers for whom characters are just as important, if not more so than, than the actual plot.


Full of literary and cinematic references not to mention the authors canny insight into the nature of cats, I thought it very cleverly written. The combination of all of these things combined with short, snappy chapters making it an easy read that once picked up I found myself reluctant to put down.



11 comments:

Kelly said...

This sounds delightful and will go on my wish list (in "real book" form so I can pass it on to my cat loving daughter).

Cute cover, too.

Karen said...

Awww - this sounds perfect for me!

I'm liking your blog remodeling :-)

Karen @ For What It's Worth

Stephanie Faris said...

Insight into the nature of cats...that sounds like an interesting book! Now if there's one that can give me insight into the mind of my dog, I'm sold!

Barbara said...

Hi Tracy, I read your review, ordered a copy and then came back to leave a comment. Now I just have to wait for it to arrive. If you like it, I know I will too. Thanks for another excellent review. Barbara.

Melliane said...

It sounds cute but I'm always anxious when it's about animals... I usually end up mixed about the story...

Felicity Grace Terry said...

I'm the same Melliane but I had it on good authority that there was no harm came to the cat and therefore it was safe for me to read.

DMS said...

This sounds like a great read! I have a cat that was once stray- and it came to me. I am definitely curious about this one. Loved your review!
~Jess

Brian Joseph said...

Your comment about plot and characters is interesting. Lately I have been caring less and less about plot and more and more about characters and other factors.

I am going to recommend this one to my wife who I think will really like the cat connection.

Lindsay said...

Sounds a lovely read, glad to read that you enjoyed it so much. I like books with literary references too.

Literary Feline said...

It's hard for me to resist a book with a cat who brings out the best in people. :-) This sounds like a lovely book.

Barbara said...

The postman delivered my copy today - can't wait to get reading, but have to finish one first. Thanks for telling us about it. xx