15 Mar 2013

KEEPING FAITH.

KEEPING FAITH* by JODI PICOULT.

* Different from the book I read which was an Isis hardback, large print edition.

For the second time in her marriage, Mariah White catches her husband with another woman, and Faith, their seven-year-old daughter, witnesses every painful minute. In the aftermath of a sudden divorce, Mariah struggles with depression, and Faith begins to confide in an imaginary friend.

At first, Mariah dismisses these exchanges as a child's imagination. But when Faith starts reciting passages from the Bible, develop's stigmata and begins to perform miraculous healings, Mariah wonders if her daughter - a girl with no religious background - might be seeing God. As word spreads and controversy heightens, Mariah and Faith are besieged by believers and disbelievers alike, caught in a media circus that threatens what little stability they have left.
....... Outer back cover.

FIRST SENTENCE (Prologue): Under normal circumstances, Faith and I should not be home when my mother calls and invites us to come see her brand-new coffin.

MEMORABLE MOMENT (Page 179): Little girls, they dream of being princesses. Of owning ponies. Of wearing jewels and ball gowns. Not of bleeding for no reason at all, just to be like Jesus.

MY THOUGHTS: What is it about Jodi Picoult's books? Formulaic to the point I could scream, usually over long, generally a little far fetched and yet I nearly always finish each book thinking its her best yet.

No exceptions here. Yes, Keeping Faith in many ways follows the usual Picoult formula (includes emotional issues; tick, centres around a child; tick, involves a court case; tick) yes, at over 600 pages its over long, yes, it is far fetched in places and, yes, it is her best yet despite all of these things.

Starting slowly, the plot then thickens before it ends on what I at first felt was an extraordinary twist then, on consideration, felt was a bit off a cop-out. 

Well written and obviously thoroughly researched, whilst the 'medical' side of Faith's condition made interesting reading it was the possible religious and sociological  ramifications that I found totally fascinating not too mention thought provoking.

Perhaps not so good  were the characters who with the exception of reporter and atheist, Ian, I found a bit, well, flat and non too convincing, the religious leaders, and in particular those of the Catholic faith, somewhat clichéd.

As I said I don't know what it is about Jodi Picoult novels but just as I thought this book her best ever I will no doubt think the same about her next.

KEEP IT OR NOT?: Ex-library stock, I'll be passing this onto my mam.




Disclaimer #1 :Removal of any part of this post without my express consent is considered copyright infringement. This post was created by and for Petty Witter @ Pen and Paper. If you are reading this post on any other site please contact the original blog owner/reviewer.

13 comments:

Carol said...

I have not read anything by this author.

carol

brandileigh2003 said...

Glad you enjoyed even if formulaic.
Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

Kelly said...

Someday I'm going to have to try one of her books. Possibly this one? It certainly sounds interesting.

carol said...

I've only read a couple of Jodi Picoult's novels and, to be honest, I'm just not planning on reading any more.

Suko said...

I will add this to my TBR list! It does sound quite thought provoking.

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

I haven't read a book by her yet. I actually don't mind it being formulaic as long as it is well written. Sometimes it's just relaxing to be with an old friend like that. :)

Marinela said...

I haven't read a book by her yet.

The Bookworm said...

I do need to read Jodi Picoult, I've heard good things about her work. This one sounds interesting too.

Yanting Gueh said...

I haven't read any of her books, and haven't added any to my to-read list. I've heard good things about her stories, but maybe I'm just not 'feeling' her power yet. I do enjoy that 'memorable moment' you've mentioned here, though, Petty. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this particular book of hers.

Joan said...

Good review, my thoughts were similar after I had read this , yes I love her books and will read tham all

Stephanie@Fairday's Blog said...

You summed up my feelings about her perfectly! I have read many of her books and although they follow a similar formula- they hook me emotionally. I haven't read this one yet. It does sound like it will keep me reading when I get to it. Wonderful review!

Betty Manousos said...

thanks for your great review:)

it sounds like an interesting book. i think i'm going to have to add this one to my "to-read" list.

hope you're enjoying your weekend.

big hugs!
xx

So many books, so little time said...

Fab review, I love Jodi Piccoult. This one I read a while ago so don't remember a lot about it but according to goodreads I gave it 4/5. Hoping to get her new one soon although still got a fair few to read.

Lainy http://www.alwaysreading.net