22 Nov 2012

WORLD BOOK NIGHT 2013.

A happy thanksgiving to all our friends across the pond.


Well, that's me signed up as a potential giver for next years WORLD BOOK NIGHT - now I just have to wait until February to know if I've been successful.

The UK choices for the event are:-

My choices .....


Imagine you're the only boy in a town of men. And you can hear everything they think. And they can hear everything you think. Imagine you don't fit in with their plans... Todd Hewitt is just one month away from the birthday that will make him a man. But his town has been keeping secrets from him. Secrets that are going to force him to run...
- Amazon book description.

She's only been gone two hours.

Her husband David was meant to be looking after their two-week-old daughter. But when Alice Fancourt walks into the nursery, her terrifying ordeal begins, for Alice insists the baby in the cot is a stranger she's never seen before.

With an increasingly hostile and menacing David swearing she must either be mad or lying, how can Alice make the police believe her before it's too late?
- Amazon book description.

An all-time-classic in a small paperback format. Judge Dredd's ultimate nemesis has arrived. His name is Judge Death, and in his eyes, all life is a crime! the super-fiend from Deadworld proves to be an implacable enemy, and Judge Dredd must work with Psi Judge anderson to save Mega-City one from a city-wide death penalty. Fearsome characters that have mainatained their popularity throughout the years thanks to the fantastic designs of Brian Bolland, the Dark Judges are determined to end all life in Mega-City one once and for all!
- Amazon book description.

The other books .....

* Read and reviewed on Pen and Paper, unlike the rest of the books which I've linked to Amazon, I've linked these to my posts.
** Read before I started blogging. Whilst I loved the Island by Victoria Hislop, I'm afraid I didn't enjoy Alexander McCall Smith's No 1 Ladies Detective Agency. As for Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island, a favourite since my childhood, I've read it countless number of times.

So, any of these books appeal to you, have you read any of them? If you could give away one book to everyone you knew, what book would it be and why?

I think for me it would have to be .....


THE FIVE PEOPLE YOU MEET IN HEAVEN is a wonderfully moving fable that addresses the meaning of life, and life after death. The novel's protagonist is an elderly amusement park maintenance worker named Eddie who, while operating a ride called the 'Free Fall', dies while trying to save a young girl who gets in the way of a falling cart that hurtles to earth. Eddie goes to heaven, where he meets five people who were unexpectedly instrumental in some way in his life. While each guide takes him through heaven, Eddie learns a little bit more about what his time on earth meant, what he was supposed to have learned, and what his true purpose on earth was. Throughout there are dramatic flashbacks where we see scenes from his troubled childhood, his years in the army in the Philippines jungle, and with his first and only love, his wife Marguerite. 
- Amazon book description.

A fairly short read so those not accustomed to reading/too busy too read wouldn't be put off by the length. Though I can't claim this book exactly changed my life, I did find it a beautiful and thought provoking read that had a profound effect on me.

10 comments:

Jeannie said...

The only book I've attempted is Treasure Island - numerous times since I was a child and I've never gotten through it. It just never grabbed me enough I suppose - usually I read from cover to cover even if I don't like it so I have no clue what the deal is with this one - I should have loved it too.

Kelly said...

I've read the Chevalier and the McCall Smith and loved them both!

I'm not sure I could come up with one recommendation. People's tastes are too varied and what I love might not appeal to them.

Kelly said...

oh...and the Eyre Affair has been in my TBR piles for ages. I need to get to it!

Shooting Stars Mag said...

I hope you get accepted! I was able to give books away this year for the U.S. one, and I signed up again for 2013. This year I gave Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson (which I love) and this year, I hadn't read hardly any of them, except my first pick (which I'm blanking on right now WHOOPS).

If I could give ANY book to people, though, it would be The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky OR Ballads of Suburbia by Stephanie Kuehnert

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

I don't know what I would give. What I love may not be loved by everyone. Hm... will have to think on that.

Alexia561 said...

Love your choices! Haven't read any of them, but they all sound good!

If I had to choose one book, I think I would choose Outlander. I resisted it for the longest time because of its size, but had so many of my bookstore customers tell me how much they loved it that I finally had to read it myself. Has elements of romance, time travel, history, and adventure, so it should appeal to almost everyone!

Fingers crossed that you're chosen for the giveaway!

The Bookworm said...

Great choices Tracy, I hope they pick you. I have The Knife of Never Letting Go on my must reads list as well as The Five People You Meet in Heaven. The Sophie Hannah book sounds very good!
Hmmm...it's hard to pick just one read to recommend to everyone.

Suko said...

The Five People You Meet in Heaven is a very touching and though-provoking book! I've read a few others by Mitch Albom that are similarly good.

Hmm...not sure which book I'd choose for World Book Night! But I'm sure it would be interesting to be a book giver!

Jenners said...

I need to read more about this and see how it works and see if I can join in.

DMS said...

Little Faces sounds fascinating.

I enjoyed The Five People You Meet in Heaven!

I haven't read many books on the list- but the few I have I didn't love. I would probably give out Wonder by RJ Palacio. I think everyone should read it. :)
~Jess