23 Aug 2012

THE MISSING ROSE.

Thanks to Dizzy C' s LITTLE BOOK BLOG I was delighted to win a copy of ......






This is the story of Diana Oliveira, a beautiful yet troubled young woman whose desire for admiration and approval has made her lose sight of who she really is. When her mother's deathbed confession reveals the existence of a sister, Diana sets out to find the twin she never knew she had. Her travels lead to a mysterious rose garden, where she is given lessons that change her forever.
....... Outer back cover.

FIRST SENTENCE (Prologue): One October evening, two people were sitting on the banks of the river Meles near that city - the ancient city of Ephesus.

MEMORABLE MOMENT (Page 101): If your intention in learning to hear roses is simply to make you different from other people I'm afraid you'll only gain vanity.

MY THOUGHTS: Hardly surprising that this is often compared to Antoine de Saint-Exupery's The Little Prince as there are several references to it throughout the book and just as with Saint-Exupery's novel The Missing Rose can be enjoyed on so many different levels.

A modern day parable, though this debut novel certainly gives more than a wink and nod to the Turkish culture of its author, I thought it a universal and somewhat timeless story of self discovery.

Sadly not as enchanting as I had hoped and perhaps at times a little too deep for my own personal taste, I'm not altogether sure that the mix of philosophy and mythology combined with an almost fairy tale element did it for me.

KEEP IT OR NOT?: Alas not, I'm sure this will be much better appreciated by someone else.

11 comments:

Mary (Bookfan) said...

Some books just don't connect on all levels but this one sounds like it might on at least one for many readers.

Jeannie said...

Sounds like it's worth a gander if I come across it but not enough to search it out...

Alyce said...

It takes a pretty special book to be told like a parable and still appeal to me. I think I must be the only person in the world who didn't care for The Little Prince. I think I needed to read it as a kid, because I read it a couple of years ago and thought it was heavy-handed - like clubbing me over the head with the symbolism and themes.

Gina said...

Hmm...curious about this one despite the so-so response in your own reading experience. Might have to check it out a bit further....see what happens. Thanks for sharing!

Golden Eagle said...

I'm intrigued by the premise, though it sounds like the mix of elements might not have worked out so well. Thanks for the review!

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

I do like the mix of philosophy and mythology. Often they intertwine naturally. I also like a book that leads to growth in a character. This one may end up on my wishlist!

Suko said...

Thanks as usual for a clear and concise review. And of course, your honesty is appreciated!

Arti said...

I think I would love to read this book. The premise excites me and your review is fabulous as always. Have a nice day Tracy :)

DMS said...

This sounds like an interesting book. I am curious about it. I thought your review was honest and helpful. This is one I may pick up.
~Jess

Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

Hi Tracy,

I have to say that even from reading the synopsis, this one doesn't really appeal to me very much.

I might be tempted to give it a try if I won it, or the author offered it up for review, but I certainly wouldn't buy it for myself.

Thanks for an honest review, that's a couple of lukewarm reads you have had recently, so let's hope the next one is much better for you.

Yvonne

The Bookworm said...

Thanks for the honest review. The premise sounds interesting enough, the whole searching for the lost twin.