18 Jul 2012

THE BIGGER THE BETTER?





Following on from THIS POST on Traci's post 'What Makes You Beautiful', in which I commented that as a child I was always told that I was beautiful virtue of simply being me, I was so upset and angered by this recent newspaper article .......


Meet the M family - their claim to fame?


They are the family who have had more 'boob jobs' than any other family in Britain.


Ranging in bust sizes from 32DD to 34HH these are all grown woman who have made their choices in life, what angered/upset me was the fact that they have been quoted as saying that they now want their 14 year old sister, yes, that's right, their 14 year old sister to go under the knife ..... when she's 18 of course .... her mother commenting 

"At the moment she doesn't really have what I would say are boobs - but I'd like her to follow in her sister's footsteps.
I really love the fake look of my girls and I know Britney will go that way when she's a bit older.
I love the idea of us all looking similar and glamorous." 

Almost speechless, I really am at a loss as to where to begin.

As I said these are grown woman who, though I'm personally saddened that they believe their lives have been transformed, made amazing by breast surgery, that they love the attention they feel having outsize breasts brings them, have made their choices. What upset me was that despite the fact that this 14 year old is seen as the 'brainy one' who (and I quote) 'just wants to work hard at school' it wasn't her brains that the family seemed to be celebrating, her continuing education that they were encouraging.


And as for mother of the family (53) who, when she 'hits the town with the other girls is often mistaken for their sister', believes her 32GG breasts make her as if young again.


Goodness only knows as women must of us understand the pressure that is put on us to remain looking forever young, after all, as opposed to men who it is often claimed grow more distinguished, we it seems just get, well, old and decrepit but surely the time must come when we accept that as older women we are beautiful within our own right and simply cannot 'compete' with women twenty years younger.


But do you know what upsets and angers me most?


This mothers comments with regard to her young daughter not really having what she would call boobs.


For goodness sake don't you realise that we come in all shapes and sizes. That we should be valued for who we are rather than what a plastic surgeon could make us. In your defence I can only hope that the newspaper has in fact misquoted you and these weren't your exact words. 


Hoping I'm not being too judgemental, it's not that I'm against plastic surgery altogether it's just that I don't buy into it being 'the answer' that transforms lives whilst I do worry about the effects attitudes like this can have on young, probably impressionable, possibly vulnerable, young women. AND if I were to be totally cynical would question if finding their large breasts no longer brought the attention they so enjoy had decided to have their story told all over the national press thus guaranteeing more attention ...... at least for a while.


What says you?


13 comments:

chitra said...

This is kind of news to me..going for artificial implants and trying to get media attention. I haven't heard such a thing over here , may be it is happening here too. But no one would come publicly to say like this.
What all extent people go to DECORATE themselves without thinking about the repercussions on the body.
Long time PW...was travelling and busy with my work too.

NRIGirl said...

Well, what can we really say about them? It is totally their choice. But enforcing it on a little one and making her believe she is not as "beautiful" as them for the rest of her life and now for going public with the news to her embarrassment, shame on them! What else can we say?

Kimberly @ Midnight Book Girl said...

This is so appalling. Being 14 is already hard enough, having your mother tell you your no beautiful because you don't have "real boobs" is messed up.

Jeannie said...

That family is nuts.

My daughter is naturally gifted in the boobage department. She needed a bra at the age of 10. By the time she was 15, she was wearing a 32G bra - which aren't a size manufactured this side of the pond so they are imported from Europe and cost about $100 each. Granted they are pretty. Although she gets plenty of male attention - she does not make her breasts the focus. She rarely shows cleavage and will leave a pretty top or dress in the store if it's too tight across the bust.

Gina said...

Oh heavens above...really? And how exactly is that something that is news worthy or something to be proud of? I mean I get it to a teeny tiny degree...even see differences in the workforce with the way people dress their...um, "advantages"...but I'm sorry (or rather not), I won't be stooping to that level....EVER. The end. (Great post by the way but oh so sorry for the child who is not getting the support she needs!)

DMS said...

If grown adults want to have surgery- then I guess it is their choice. I feel sad for the 14 year old because her family wanting her to get a boob job can't be good for her developing self-esteem. I hope she stays focused on her brains!
~Jess

ashok said...

The world has all kinds of people...there are intelligent people and there are these kinda people...My sympathies to this family who compensate the vacuum of the brain with their boobs:(

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

I often wonder if people would let those young girls know that the bigger the boobs, the bigger you look. AND GG sizes??? I wonder what surgeon is doing this? Not good if the self esteem is tied up in the boobs.

Maude Lynn said...

I'm speechless. It sounds like the 14 year old is the only one in the family with any sense.

Suko said...

This young lady does not seem to be in the right family. I agree with what Ruby Dee says at the start of your post.

Blond Duck said...

Someone needs to beat that woman and save that poor child.

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Oh, I agree with you. Plastic surgery can be great and is needed for some things, but when it's just cosmetic, i'm sorry, I don't get it. You should be proud of your kids for who they ARE, not what a doctor can make them. I really hope this girl sticks to her guns and doesn't give in to her family.

-Lauren

Jenners said...

I says "This family is really messed up and has a really wrong-headed view of what constitutes beauty." I hope the poor girl escapes her big-boobed fate!