This email on the complexities of the English language seems to be doing the rounds at the moment so apologies to those of you who may have already seen it - to those of you who haven't I hope you enjoy it.
- The bandage was wound around the wound.
- The farm was used to produce produce .
- The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse .
- We must polish the Polish furniture.
- He could lead if he would get the lead out.
- The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert.
- Since there is no time like the present , he thought it was time to present the present
- A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum.
- When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.
- I did not object to the object.
- The insurance was invalid for the invalid.12) There was a row among the oarsmen about how to row ...
- They were too close to the door to close it.
- The buck does funny things when the does are present.
- A seamstress and a sewer fell down into a sewer line.
- To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.
- The wind was too strong to wind the sail.
- Upon seeing the tear in the painting I shed a tear.
- I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.
- How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?
And why is it that writers write but fingers don't fing, grocers don't groce and hammers don't ham? If the plural of tooth is teeth, why isn't the plural of booth, beeth? One goose, 2 geese. So one moose, 2 meese? One index, 2 indices? Doesn't it seem crazy that you can make amends but not one amend? If you have a bunch of odds and ends and get rid of all but one of them, what do you call it?
If teachers taught, why didn't preachers praught? If a vegetarian eats vegetables what does a humanitarian eat? Sometimes I think all the English speakers should be committed to an asylum for the verbally insane. In what language do people recite at a play and play at a recital? Ship by truck and send cargo by ship? Have noses that run and feet that smell?
How can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same, while a wise man and a wise guy are opposites? You have to marvel at the unique lunacy of a language in which your house can burn up as it burns down, in which you fill in a form by filling it out and in which, an alarm goes off by going on.
English was invented by people not computers and it reflects the creativity of the human race, which, of course, is not a race at all. That is why when the stars are out they are visible but when the lights are out they are invisible.
As if the English language isn't complicated enough
Slang words including thang (meaning thing), innit (isn't it), and grrl (A self confident woman) have been added to an official dictionary for SCRABBLE players.
The Collins Official Scrabble Words also includes words from Indian cookery, such as keema, and from the internet - including wiki and myspace - among nearly 3000 additions to those allowed to be used in the game. - The Telegraph (09/05/2011) READ MORE.