16 Mar 2011

SPOT THE DIFFERENCE AND THE ORANGE PRIZE NOMINEES ARE .......

How alike are these two book covers?


CASA ROSSA by Francesca Marciano.


In Casa Rossa, Roman native Francesca Marciano tells a riveting tale of three generations of women whose separate acts of betrayal set the stage for later destruction. Renée, the grandmother, forsakes her artist husband and her life in rural Puglia at Casa Rossa, to live with a woman. Alba, her daughter, takes a lover and pushes her husband to suicide. Isabella and Alina, Alba's daughters, take extreme measures to keep each other out of their lives, leading to upheaval. Told through the voice of the youngest daughter, Alina, Casa Rossa weaves the selling and closure of the family estate with the family's sordid and unforgettable history. Spanning the 20th century and providing entrée into the not-so-incompatible worlds of Italian cinema and political terrorism, Marciano, author of Rules of the Wild, reveals an authenticity in the way this emotionally warped family comes to terms with its fragmented past. It's a fine, highly entertaining work, laced with lovely writing and emotionally resonant characters - Amazon.com review.
 

THE WOMAN WHO WAITED by Andrei Makine.

A crumbling farmhouse in Puglia, Casa Rossa was bought by Alina Strada’s grandfather at a time when no one else wanted it. Now busy preparing it for sale, Alina endeavors to recover the memories it still harbors—in particular of three women whose passions indelibly shaped her family’s dark past. There’s grandmother Renee, whose love of novelty won over everything else. Alina’s mother, Alba, whose marriage to a screenwriter inspired both great art and unbearable sadness. Finally Isabella, Alina’s sister, whose fervent politics drove her to ever-escalating betrayals. Moving from Jazz Age Paris to 1950s Rome to modern-day New York, but returning always to the uncompromising beauty of Italy’s south, Casa Rossa is a spellbinding story of how loves and losses, secrets and lies, resonate across the generations. - RandomHouse reviews.

And talking of books, in case you didn't already heard here is a list of the books nominated for this years Orange Prize for Fiction.


•Lyrics Alley by Leila Aboulela (Weidenfeld & Nicolson) - Sudanese; 3rd Novel


•Jamrach's Menagerie by Carol Birch (Canongate) - British; 10th Novel

Room by Emma Donoghue (Picador) - Irish; 7th Novel (SEE MY REVIEW)

•The Pleasure Seekers by Tishani Doshi (Bloomsbury) - Indian; 1st Novel

•Whatever You Love by Louise Doughty (Faber and Faber) - British; 6th Novel

•A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan (Corsair) - American; 4th Novel

•The Memory of Love by Aminatta Forna (Bloomsbury) - British/Sierra Leonean; 3rd Novel

•The London Train by Tessa Hadley (Jonathan Cape) - British; 4th Novel

•Grace Williams Says it Loud by Emma Henderson (Sceptre) - British; 1st Novel

•The Seas by Samantha Hunt (Corsair) - American; 1st Novel

•The Birth of Love by Joanna Kavenna (Faber and Faber) - British; 2nd Novel

•Great House by Nicole Krauss (Viking) - American; 3rd Novel

•The Road to Wanting by Wendy Law-Yone (Chatto & Windus) - American; 3rd Novel

The Tiger's Wife by Téa Obreht (Weidenfeld & Nicolson) - Serbian/American; 1st Novel (Win a copy courtesy of BIBLIOPHILE BY THE SEA by clcking HERE)

•The Invisible Bridge by Julie Orringer (Viking) - American; 1st Novel

•Repeat it Today with Tears by Anne Peile (Serpent's Tail) - British; 1st Novel

•Swamplandia! by Karen Russell (Chatto & Windus) - American; 1st Novel

•The Secret Lives of Baba Segi's Wives by Lola Shoneyin (Serpent's Tail) - British/Nigerian; 1st Novel

•The Swimmer by Roma Tearne (Harper Press) - British; 4th Novel

•Annabel by Kathleen Winter (Jonathan Cape) - Canadian; 1st Novel

Have you read any and if so would you recommend it?


18 comments:

Bonnie said...

Hi, thanks for visiting with me! I haven't been around much either on my blog...about one month. I really miss posting too but have got a ton going on and I'm exhausted when I get home. Hope all is well with your family.

Bonnie

Mary (Bookfan) said...

Thanks for posting the Orange Prize nom. list. I've only read Room but I've heard of several other titles. It will be interesting to see which book wins.

serendipity_viv said...

I love seeing the list of nominees for the Orange Prize. I have read a book by Aminatta Forna before, so I am interested by that one. I still haven't read Room!

Gina said...

Wow...those covers are a deja vue experience in the making! Did they use the same cover model to? (Looks like it to me...) I can see this one getting confused on bookstore shelves. *shakes head* As for the list of books, I've read....wow, exactly none of those. O_O Have heard of a few though...and gvie my congrats to all the nominees. ^_^

brandileigh2003 said...

I haven't read either of these, but they look interesting.
Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

Betty Manousos said...

Those books look really interesting.
Off to check them out!

Thank you for the pleasure and knowledge that I am receiving from you. :)

Big hugs!
B xx

Dorte H said...

Identical twin alert!

I think these similar covers are so funny - I wonder why they always tell indie writers to use professionals for their covers; at least MY cover photos are all my own :D

Suko said...

Those covers are similar! Avis from she reads and reads often shows similar covers on her book blog.

I know that I need to read Room!

Jenners said...

You need to send these to Avis at she reads and reads. She has a great series on similar book covers and these are perfect for it.

Kelly said...

I've not read any of these... but I still have "Room" waiting in my Kindle. I need to hurry up and read it!!

Carol said...

Not seen these before.

Spot the difference!

carol

Melissa (Books and Things) said...

Oh I still need to get into Room. Haven't done so just yet. I'm going to have to check out some of those books I haven't heard of... hm...

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

I don't think I've read any of those books listed. I'm going to have to look into them. :) Thanks!

Misha said...

I have the Room and have read The Birth of Love. I have added the rest to my gigantic wishlist :D

Alyce said...

Those covers are very much alike! I haven't read any of those books, which serves yet again to remind me just how many books there are in this world that I haven't read (yet).

The Bookworm said...

those two covers are so alike.
I havent read any on this list, there's always so many books, so little time.

purplume said...

Interesting. They must use the same stock photo. It is a good reason to not use them in your covers.

avisannschild said...

How would you feel about me reposting your lookalike finds on my blog? I would obviously link to your blog post in mine.

You can email me at shereadsandreads(at)gmail(dot)com if you want.

Thanks!