2 Jul 2010

ANYTHING GOES & I AM WHAT I AM.




ANYTHING GOES and I AM WHAT I AM by JOHN BARROWMAN with Carole E. Barrowman.

Two reviews for the price of one.

It's no big secret that I'm a big fan of John Barrowman (JB) so I was delighted to receive these two books as a present, the first bought thanks to a kind friend who gave me an Amazon voucher.

I don't read too many autobiographies as I have to have a real interest in that person and occasionally I've come away highly disappointed when the individual in question came across as a not too nice person. No such danger here, JB came across every bit as warm and charming a person as he seemed during interviews - his love of his family and partner, Scott, shining through.

Co-written by his elder sister Carole (an English professor at Alverno College, Wisconsin, USA), both books are well written, witty, intelligent and fairly concise - the fact that they are not written in any real chronological order giving them the feeling that you are sitting reminiscing with an old friend, flicking through their photo album (both books contain a fair amount) laughing at old times.

Both enjoyable reads, I couldn't possibly pick a favourite though in Anything Goes JB's private life was discussed slightly more than his public life whilst the reverse was probably true of I Am What I Am. However that said, to me personally, there could have been lots more of John the man as opposed to John the entertainer.

Highly recommended, I'm sure this will appeal to many people as JB has had such a varied career and is a great 'advertisement' for what it is to be in a committed, loving relationship after so many years in the public eye.

21 comments:

CarlyB said...

Hi! I found your blog through the Hop and I'm really glad I did because it's great :). I'm your latest follower so I'm sure I'll be back soon!
Have a lovely weekend,
Carly x.

http://carlybennett.blogspot.com

Betty Manousos said...

A great review as usual, Tracy.
Thanks for the recommendation.
Sound like a must-read.
Have a lovely weekend!

Lots and lots of love and hugs!:o)
B xx

Unknown said...

I found you at the hop. Terrific blog!

You can visit me @ HottBooks

Happy Blog Hop.
Gina

Lily said...

Hopping on by, I enjoy reading your blog! Thank you for your comments on mine too :). Congrats on nearing 100, bet you get there this weekend!! And I love that saying "Her mouth is always in gear, though her brain may be in neutral!" I may have to borrow that ;-). Have a great weekend, I will be back later in the week to say hello again!

Karen said...

Love JB! He doesn't seem old enough to have TWO biographies!! lol Maybe he's just that interesting.....hehe
Have a great weekend!!

Gina said...

Hmm..now you see these are not my cup of tea so it's doubtful I'll be reading them; glad you enjoyed them though! Thanks for sharing!

Tracie said...

I've never heard of him before but he sure is handsome.

Hope you have a great weekend!

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

I am lucky #100 follower, I had you in my Goog.le reader, but now I am a follower too. Fabulous, Wittiest of Pets!

Jenners said...

I never heard of this guy but he kind of reminds me of Tom Cruise (as far as looks, I mean).

Oddyoddyo13 said...

I've only ever read autobiographies for school-which is not fun. But these sound pretty cool!

Happy birthday to your sister!

Kelly said...

Most of the biographies I've read have been of historical figures. I've heard this name, but don't know anything about him.

Remember when you reviewed Primal Fear awhile back and there was some discussion about the movie? We watched it last night. I thought it was a pretty good movie. Great cast!

One follower away from 100!! Congrats!! (I can't imagine having that many followers)

Jen said...

Congratulations on 100! I have never heard of JB, but he seems like an interesting person.

Unknown said...

Well I was gonna say I was #100, as it looks on your followers list, but maybe I am not? Either way, I am glad I found your blog through the hop! It's full of fun! Happy hopping!

Traci said...

Congrats -- I see you have crossed the centennial threshold since you posted! You know you are one of my favorite places to visit.

Also, happy birthday to dear sister-in-law. Tell her I am just one year behind her!

Finally, thanks for the review. I wasn't very familiar with JB but based on your review, I checked him out and realized I did know him from Doctor Who I am officially educated.

Arti said...

I was waiting to be the 100th.. Just missed the bus :(
But I think 101 is not bad either:)
Congrats !!!
My best wishes for you always!

NabilaHazirah said...

he seems like a pretty interesting man.
and congrats on the 100 followers! :)

xx

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

I really must get around to reading I Am What I Am as I've had the book since it was first published. I'm a big JB fan and got his first autobiography signed :)

BookQuoter said...

Congratulations on your 100 followers milestone. I enjoyed finding out about JB.

Suzanne Ross Jones said...

I LOVE JB. We have ticket to see him in Edinburgh in November - can't wait.

Nina said...

Great review! I used to saw a show on BBC with him, I can't remember the name of it. It was a show with aliens or something. He had a team..anyway..Is he british or American? Because he acts in shows on the BBC, but he speaks american. I'm confused!

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Nikki-ann - I'm so jealous, I would love to have had a signed book.
Suzanne - How lucky. We tried to get tickets for Newcastle but they had sold out instantly.
Nina - It will have been Torchwood you were watching. He is actually Scottish but has lived partly in America since childhood.