22 Jun 2010

DIDN'T I DO WELL?

As you may have read on my post update, my wheelchair - I've named her Madge - arrived yesterday.

A lovely purple in colour (Madge that is, not me) I eagerly awaited Husband dearest to come home from work so I could have my maiden voyage.

Considering I don't have very good coordination and next to no spacial awareness I did much better than I had anticipated - only hitting one bin and narrowly missing going through our next door neighbour's (closed) garden gate.

Better than these two wheelchair users anyway.

An 18-year-old woman suffered a broken wrist in a hit-and-run accident involving a mobility scooter.
She was struck from behind by the vehicle. Police appealed for the'driver' to come forward.

Sorry I know I shouldn't have laughed  but you know when you get an image in your head and it just will not go away - well! I kept picturing the 'driver' of said mobility scooter leaving the scene of he accident, doing a good 4 miles-per-hour (mph).


Anyway,  swiftly moving on ......

A man in his 80's was given a police warning after he caused a four-mile-tailback by riding his 8mph mobility scooter for seven miles along a dual carriageway.*
His vehicle will be confiscated if he takes it on the roads in the next 12 months.

And talking of laughing at an image you get in your head - Husband dearest is still laughing at the thought of  Roadside Recovery Insurance for my chair which basically means if I were to 'break down', I could dial a number and someone would come get me. Picturing a truck towing away a car, he got a mental image of me, still sat in chair being hoisted onto the back of a truck.

* A dual carriageway being a highway in which the two directions of traffic are separated by a central barrier or strip of land, known as a central reservation (median). It may also have limited access and grade separated junctions. Where more than 1 lane is provided in each direction this type of road is usually able to carry a great deal more traffic than normal single carriageways (undivided highways). A dual carriageway may described as dual single lane, dual 2-lane or dual 3-lane. In the United Kingdom the term is used for a road with divided carriageways that is not a motorway. - Wikapedia.

22 comments:

serendipity_viv said...

I didn't realise they were so dangerous.LOL. Do you need Learner plates?

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Lethal in the wrong hands Vivienne - mine does nought to eight in a matter of seconds. Learner plates are not required but, in my case, a good idea.

chitra said...

Hope Madge will provide you more mobility and freedom!!

Tastemaster said...

Haha. The Law does act in funny ways sometimes.

Gina said...

Good grief...ya gotta love the strangeness that is life sometimes. I mean really...a hit and run by scooter? LOL. ^_^

R. Ramesh said...

thanks 4 passing by..hey u have a good blog here friend..will keep visiting..take care..best wishes always:)

Karen said...

I live in an area with a lot of retirees and golf carts are the big danger here....:-)

Valerie said...

Welcome, Madge!

Near my daughter's dance studio, there is a couple that use mobility scooters in the road rather than the sidewalks. they have tall, bright orange flags for visibility -- but I always worry that a car will do damage to the couple someday.

awitchtrying said...

4 mph getaway is so funny! I'm so glad you've gotten Madge! You'll be comfortable on her soon and I'm sure we won't read about you in the paper!

purplume said...

Ooh a lovely purple. I like that. Lol at the image of you being towed. May you never need to be.
Have fun with your new freedom.

Jenners said...

Good for you that you didn't have too many accidents! And now I'm chuckling over the "high speed" escape! Enjoy Madge!

Kelly said...

Hope you will share some pix of Madge (a name I considered when I named Mabel.).

Imagine that...roadside assistance for a motorized wheelchair!

Loved the two stories, especially the hit & run.

Anonymous said...

Enjoy the enhanced mobility!

Alexia561 said...

Hope you and Madge have many happy adventures together! Have you thought about adding racing stripes or flames on her side, like they do with racing cars? :D

Oddyoddyo13 said...

LoL! I love how you find stories for this. :)

Here's hoping you and Madge have many happy years together!

AiringMyLaundry said...

Have fun with Madge. I love the color purple.

Betty Manousos said...

Aww, I love the colour purple.
Enjoy Madge!
Hugs!
~B xx

Alison Can Read said...

Gotta love wheelchair humor :-)

Trac~ said...

LOL too funny! Did I miss the reason why you have a wheelchair now as your new wheels? I hope all is well and you feel better soon my friend! P.S. No, the Sunblock stuff I reviewed last week does not leave a shine at all on your face. You should try it - it is wonderful stuff! :o)

Sara said...

I love that you named your wheelchair. I like to think I would do the same. I tend to name most inanimate objects.

I hope Madge doesn't get too cheeky.

Lily said...

purple, lovely! Just don't go getting any moving violations ;-)

Revd. Neal Terry said...

Lily, she is a moving violation!