25 Mar 2010

TYPICALLY BRITISH BOOK CHALLENGE 2010.

To be honest book challenges didn't really hold any real appeal to me as so many of them seemed to be so restrictive but not wanting to miss out on the fun that so many bloggers seemed to experience having taken part in these things last December I decided to take part in my first challenge which didn't last too long and was very seasonal it being a Christmas Book Challenge.

As a challenge I quite enjoyed it but thought I could have been better prepared in my choice of book as partly due to there being less seasonal library stock available than I had anticipated I ended up reading three book (LAST CHRISTMAS by Julia Williams, A CHRISTMAS PROMISE by Anne Perry and CHRISTMAS ON THE HOME FRONT by Mike Brown) none of which were truly enjoyable or inspiring.

Having had the experience (with very little of the fun) I thought that would be an end to that but, never say never, I've once again found myself wishing to take part in another book challenge thanks once again to Vivienne over at SERENDIPITY who is also taking part in this years TYPICALLY BRITISH READING CHALLENGE which is being hosted by Book Chic City.

The 'rules' as such are simple -

Timeline: 1st Jan 2010~ 31st Dec 2010. Only books started on January 1st count towards this challenge.

Details:

1. Anyone can join. You don't need a blog to participate.

2. There are four levels:
• "Put The Kettle On" – Read 2 Typically British novels.
• "Gordon Bennett" – Read 4 Typically British novels.
• "Bob's Your Uncle" – Read 6 Typically British novels.
• "Cream Crackered" – Read 8 Typically British novels.


3. Any book format counts. Must be fiction not non-fiction.

4. You don't have to select your books ahead of time, you can just add them as you go. Also if you do list them upfront then you can change them, nothing is set in stone!

5. The books you choose can crossover into other challenges.

6. If you decide to participate in this challenge please use the link set up, this way others can find their way back and join in the fun. A button is available for this purpose, simply click on the above link for the Typically British Reading Challenge to obtain it.

7. Obviously only British authors count!

So what level will I be aiming for and what books (if any) have I decided on?

With one book read (Double Eagle by James Twining -I'll be reviewing it tomorrow), another (Hetty Feather by Jacqueline Wilson) already started, and another two waiting (The Long Song by Andrea Levy and Winston's War by Michael Dobbs) I'm hoping to aim for at least 'Gordon Bennett' if not 'Bob's Your Uncle' but who knows I may even achieve 'Cream Crackered' status.

8 comments:

Kissed by an Angel said...

Sound like fun!! I like the sound of Hetty Feather by Jacqueline Wilson!! I'll wait for your review!!!
I'm positive you will get to the "Cream Crackered" level!!! Good luck!
xxxx

Dorte H said...

Good luck! And "typically British" sounds like most of the crime fiction I read :D

susan s. said...

So, Petty, I take it that 'Winston's War' is not about Churchill?

Revd. Neal Terry said...

It is about Churchill Susan, albeit a fictionalised account of the year leading up to him becoming prime minister in 1940. I would say more but I'd better not steal her Ladyships thunder. I'll comment when she reviews it.

Jennifer McLean said...

You go Girl! Read 'til your eyes blurr. Enjoy your challenge. Speaking of challenges, have you ever done a swap on swap-bot.com? It's fun too!
:o)
Have a great upcoming weekent, Tracy.

serendipity_viv said...

Good luck on the challenge. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Thanks for mentioning me.

Kelly said...

I've read many novels by British authors in the past, but not sure if I have any lined up for this year. I bet I'll at least be able to "put the kettle on"!

We shall see.

Oddyoddyo13 said...

Sounds like a lot of fun! I hope you complete said challenge with "flying colors".