31 Mar 2010

THE EASTER FLOWER.

The Easter Flower by CLAUDE MCKAY.

Far from this foreign Easter damp and chilly
My soul steals to a pear-shaped plot of ground,
Where gleamed the lilac-tinted Easter lily
Soft-scented in the air for yards around;
Alone, without a hint of guardian leaf!
Just like a fragile bell of silver rime,
It burst the tomb for freedom sweet and brief
In the young pregnant year at Eastertime;
And many thought it was a sacred sign,
And some called it the resurrection flower;
And I, a pagan, worshiped at its shrine,
Yielding my heart unto its perfumed power.
Today's post is part of a weekly meme, FreeVerse hosted by Cara @ OOH ... BOOKS!

10 comments:

Kissed by an Angel said...

That was nice, I really enjoyed reading it!
xxxx

Kelly said...

Quite lovely.... just like the flower!

Also quite appropriate for this week's FreeVerse.

Oddyoddyo13 said...

Beautiful. I love reading pieces like that.

Myne said...

This is beautiful!

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Thank you, glad you enjoyed it - I only wish I could get the spacing sorted. Cutting and pasting worked last time but not this time. Oh well, back to the drawing board as it were.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful.

Valerie said...

I love the smell of Easter Lilies, and this really brings that to me! The linkage between the flower and the Easter holiday really shows well here.

quid said...

Perfect illustration for this poem!

quidrock

Cara Powers said...

Thanks for reminding me it's Easter. I haven't been to church since before Lent. The poem is beautiful.

Betty Manousos said...

Loved this one! It enlightened my heart.
HUGS!XX