I seemed to have either stored up lots of animal stories or, friends knowing my love of all things furry, been sent them so today I thought I'd share some of them with you.
Firstly, and yes I know I've mentioned this once or twice before but for those of you who haven't already heard it, Dominick the Donkey is now available right here at the top of my sidebar - and for those of you who have already heard it, well, listen to it again.
* Bosses at a North aquarium are increasing security on one of their displays in a bid to end the late night excursions of an adventurous crab.
The shore crab, who's been nick-named Herbie by staff, loves to explore the aquarium when visitors have gone home but on his latest excursion he was totally unaware that he'd had a brush with death.
Herbie was found dangerously close to the otter enclosure, which immediately prompted staff to put a stop to his nocturnal ramblings, because he could end up as a midnight snack for the crab-loving carnivores.
- An edited version of an article by Coreena Ford, reporting in the Sunday Sun.
Also finding themselves in danger were:
* A cute kitten who miraculously survived a 900 mile journey - trapped under a train. No one knows how he got there, but a rail worker has adopted the ball of fur and named him Diesel.
* A hapless hedgehog who was treated at a Devon animal hospital after eating one too many fermented apples and getting drunk.
- Thanks to friend (S) for sending those.
But how's this for clever?
* An orangutan has become one of the world's most popular Internet snappers after keepers gave it a camera.
- the Sunday Sun.
But even stranger is this article found on Internet site WAYODD about an orangutan who stripped and mugged a French Tourist. Yes .....
* A French female tourist was stripped of her pants, shoes and socks while SHE took photographs of a wild orangutan in Malaysia.
Meanwhile over in England
* Cows in Beaminister, Dorset increased milk production by 15 per cent when farmers Jozef Andrezejk and Tomas Piotr switched off the classical music they'd been playing them. The herd much preferred Queen's We Will Rock you.
- Thanks to friend (C) for sending this via e-mail.
* If your four-legged friend answers to Rover or Kitty, it's a sure sign you are behind the times.
Recent research reveals a growing trend for pet-loving Brits to call cats and dogs by more human names with the
TOP 10 DOG NAMES IN 2009 being
TOP 10 CAT NAMES in 2009
10. Gizmo (Hardly human that one. I don't know too many Gizmo's, do you? PW)
06. Tigger (Another uncommon human name? PW)
- An edited version of an article by Tom Parry, reporting in the Daily mirror.