8 Nov 2009

ONE LAST POST BEFORE I HIT THE SACK.

Is the expression 'Hit the sack' familiar to you all? Probably not. Just in case, translated it means 'before I get into bed'. Do you have any such sayings? My late nana had hundreds of them which I'm afraid/pleased to say I often use. Perhaps one of my favourites is 'When pussy was a kitten' - roughly meaning 'a long time ago'. Then, of course, there's 'Well, I'll go to the foot of our stairs' - a statement to indicate surprise.

But enough of that, my bed and the last 50 pages of my current read are calling so I'll make this a quick one that will hopefully have you laughing.

A bank robber's pet cat is banned from visiting him in jail even though he says it's his mum reincarnated.

And yes it is a true story, you couldn't make something like that up.

Sleep well all of you who, like me, are retiring for the night and good morning to those of you who have just begun their day.

7 comments:

Kelly said...

Yep, we say "hit the sack" around here, too. Or sometimes "hit the hay".

I thought you were starting a joke with the line about the bank robber's cat .... Ha! Guess it takes all kinds.

Let's see, from what your clock reads you are still 6 hours ahead of me. We "fell back" an hour to end Daylight Savings Time last week, so I thought you would now be 7 hours ahead. Do you observe that nonsense over there, too? Nearing the dinner hour for me. I'm hoping I'll have time to read some tonight. I'm currently reading Leigh Russell's crime novel.

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Yes, we also observe that nonsense over here - our clocks changed a week before yours.

Dorte H said...

We say e.g. that we go to the bunk or the berth.

Why don´t you think anyone could make up something like the reincarnated mum? Don´t you watch Friends? - or read my stories?

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Good point Dorte. You know I'm a fan of your stories - in fact I'm away now to read the next instalment of The Blue Vase.

Deidre said...

we say hit the sack and hit the hay...my grandmother says "go to the john" as in "go to the bathroom" which has never made sense to me.

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

I have heard of hit the sack. My husband says "hit the sheets"...

Jenners said...

I do think so many of these common phrases are so funny and I never thought that much about them until my son started asking me about them and then I realized some of them didn't really make sense or I didn't get myself!