15 Oct 2009

KNOCK, KNOCK.

I don't know about where you are but here in the North East of England it's a horrible damp, dark day - only teatime (4.20 pm) and I've had to put the light on to see to read.

Anyway, I've decided what we all need is a giggle, so here are some of my favourite 'Knock, Knock' jokes(?). "But where did the 'Knock, Knock' joke come from?" I hear you ask.

Well, Ask Yahoo has this to say: "The truth is nobody really knows the exact history of the 'Knock, Knock' joke. Shakespeare did have a Knock, Knock, Who's there? line in Macbeth but there's no evidence to suggest it spawned a new path in comedy.
"The jokes we're familiar with today are popular in the United States as well as France, Canada, Australia, the United Kingdom and South Africa. Knock, Knock jokes are fun if somewhat corny. But we like them because they often involve a play on words, and don't require too much thinking". *

Knock, knock.
Who's there?
Alex.
Alex who?
Alex plain later if you let me in.

Knock, knock.
Who's there?
Ike.
Ike who?
Ike'n see you through the keyhole.

Knock, knock.
Who's there?
Annie.
Annie who?
Annie one you like.

* I don't know about not requiring too much thinking - it sometimes takes me ages AND having to say it out loud several times before I get it, not to mention the times Hubby has to explain it to me.


6 comments:

Kelly said...

It's dreary here today, too! More storms... in fact we loss power for about an hour and it was dark enough that I had to read my paper by candlelight! Helps me relate to Matthew Shardlake!

Enjoyed your jokes! Here's one for you...

knock, knock,
who's there?
banana
banana who?
banana knock, knock
who's there?
banana
banana who?
banana knock, knock
WHO'S THERE???
orange
orange who?
orange you glad I didn't say banana?

For some reason I thought that was so funny when I was little!

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Not one I've ever heard - I like it. Reading by candle light, how romantic, I love candles.

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

That is a question to ask, where did knock knock jokes come from? Great jokes and I use to run around doing the orange joke all the time when I was younger. lol.

Great post.

Alexia561 said...

I remember the banana one from when I was a kid. We used to think it was the funniest thing around!

Pretty dreary weather here in NJ as well. Rain most of the day, then a brief period of snow before turning to rain again. It's only Fall, and I'm already tired of the damp & cold. :(

Dorte H said...

You are not the only one. But I can´t ´hear´ them; I always have to read them to get them.

We don´t make them in Danish, though, so we have to import yours. For me, they are part of a British sense of humour I enjoy very much.

NB: it is also horribly cold and windy here today. Good I took 30-40 pictures of our garden yesterday. You never know, it may be the last good day in 2009 (at least a Danish autumn sometimes feels that way).

Swapna Raghu Sanand said...

Liked your post coz we had so many 'knock, knock' snippets while I was growing up but sadly, I wasn't able to recollect any though I tried. It was nice to read examples too.